Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Airport Manager and Hangar Rules

Airport Manager and Hangar Rules

Our current airport manager came out with a new set of hangar rules. Although I, (others disagree with me), think part of the rules are ok, I think the manager is overly agressive with some of the rules.

1. No non-functioning cars/transportation in hangar, all cars left in hangar are for transportation home, (one rule I agree with, this is an airport, not an auto storage yard).
    2. All fridges and airconditioners are to be 18" off floor
    3. All fuel not in aircraft have to be stored in fire resistant fuel containers/lockers, (similar restrictions with various flammable fluids).
    4. No wood stored in hangar.
    5. No welding in hangar, (if one has fuel in a plane in the hangar, I can see this one).
    6. One plane per T-hangar.
    7. Shelves limited to 36" in width, (now that one can't store wood.., but then storing 48" wide aluminum for building...)
    8. No painting at all in hangars, (there is not a paint shed on the field, the previous rule let owners do minor touch-up painting).

The list goes on and on. As written, this will effectively discourage any homebuilding at the airport, even in our chapter hangar. Can anyone in headquarters help us?

Have you or a representative group gone to the manager to discuss which rules you think are inappropriate? (Personally, I'd suggest a hangar is supposed to store airplanes, so #6 is pretty dumb.).

Maybe you try that first before bringing in EAA or AOPA. Those rules look like the kind of thing which are within the authority of an airport manager. They don't stop you from using the airport or storing an aircraft in the hangar. They just stop you from doing some things which might put your aircraft or others at risk.

I could list pages of ridiculous airport/hangar rules I've had to endure and some of the ones you list are indeed ridiculous. All I can say is choose your battles wisely, you don't want to get ousted over something that you can work around.

Interesting.

When I decided to rent a hangar a few years ago, I asked our airport owner, "Do you mind if I build in this hangar?" He replied, "Not at all! In fact we encourage it!" That attitude seems to be the norm around here as I can think of 6 or 7 local airports where building and restoration is taking place. Some are privately owned, others are municipal.

All those rules sound a little picky.

Fridge 18" off floor? Why?
    No wood? Does that also mean no wood airplanes?

Strange... just glad we don't have those issues here.

I would suspect that the requirement to have your fridge 18 inches off the floor stems from the fact that any fuel vapor would lay near the floor and your fridge has relays on the compressor which is usually in the bottom of the fridge. The relay closing or opening could casue a spark which could ignite any fuel vapors lying on the floor. In fact I beleive there is something in the fire codes concerning this type of thing. I will have to read through the NFPA fire codes to be sure. Most airports are now required to comply with the national fire codes and I would suspect that is what is driving many of the new rules. If they do not they risk having their insurance coverage canceled. If this is the cause of your new policies it would have been nice if they had just explained to everyone why they had to insitute new policies. Generally most people are much more willing to go along with the rules if they understand how they came about. It sounds like someone did a very poor job of customer relations.

I would suspect that the requirement to have your fridge 18 inches off the floor stems from the fact that any fuel vapor would lay near the floor and your fridge has relays on the compressor which is usually in the bottom of the fridge. The relay closing or opening could casue a spark which could ignite any fuel vapors lying on the floor.
    That's my guess.

In fact I beleive there is something in the fire codes concerning this type of thing.
    For "industrial" settings, normally. It varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction but it does make sense and is on the books in many areas. This was a very common violation when I used to help a fire inspector buddy of mine with his 'rounds' a number of years ago while a volunteer firefighter.

It sounds like someone did a very poor job of customer relations.
    That or the person is inexperienced with regards to what goes on in most hangars and/or the airport had a bad experience with a homebuilder and does not wish a repeat.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlB View Post
    Shelves limited to 36" in width, (now that one can't store wood.., but then storing 48" wide aluminum for building...)
    Hey Carl, can you make your 36" shelves out of wood? Wonder if you can have a workbench that's wider than 36"...........

I think I could have fun with some of their rules......Make your shelves 36" wide and space them 20" off the wall. That should give you a place to store your aluminum sheet.
    Last edited by martymayes; 05-20-2012 at 08:55 PM.

Or store it vertically.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

I'd rather mess with them. Wrap all your wood up in Christmas gift paper. Fer sure they won't come up with a rule saying "No Christmas presents can be stored in hanagar" but you never know.....

Perhaps if you sign a release and assume responsibility for painting, etc. they will allow it.
    I just got the idea today after I made a dental appointment. The latest news finds many X-rays are not needed, so I asked if I could skip the routine X-ray. They said fine, just sign a release.