I'm not sure whether to post this in here or in the maintained thread, so if the community thinks of a better place to put this post, please move it.

I'm currently giving instruction in a Aeronca 11AC Chief that has no electrical system and a C-65 that's been upgraded to 75 hp. I've got a lot of experience hand propping, but most of it is on the Lycoming 0-290 and 0-320, so I have some questions.

The C-65 as I said has been rebuild recently (about 50 hrs ago) and upgraded to 75 hp. It also has a primer and the old style "shoe box" mags with no shower of sparks or impulse coupling.

My normal cold starting procedure has been:
1 shot of primer
Throttle closed
Pull the prop through 2 times, mags cold
Contact

And it USUALLY starts on the 3rd or 4th blade. More about the usually later.
With the throttle closed, the engine idles around 500-600 rpm.

Question 1.)
What is a good cold start procedure for this engine?

Hot start:
No prime
Throttle Half
Contact
As soon as it fires, 800 to 1000 rpm (requires two people for sure)

This usually takes a while, but everything else I've tried usually floods the engine.

Question 2.)
What is a good hot start procedure for this engine and what do you consider a "hot start."

This morning when I tried the cold start, the engine acted like it was flooded on the 2nd or 3rd pull with the mags on, so I went to half throttle. After a few more pulls, a lot of gas started coming out of the carb, and we had a nice puddle under the cowl. Much more than I've ever seen come out of the airplane before. We tried starting it assuming it was flooded. It caught a couple times but would only run for 30 seconds or so before the engine would just quit. (Yes, the gas was on. First thing I checked.) We let it sit for 15 min, and tried again assuming it was flooded with the same result. I called it quits and assumed there was something wrong with the airplane because 1.) I had never seen that much gas under the cowl even when I've really flooded it before, and 2.) The engine wouldn't keep running after it fired which has never happened before. Someone else came out a couple hours later, and it fired up on the 3rd pull and it ran like a clock.
Obviously I did something wrong, but I have no idea what. Any help will be greatly appreciated. What should I have done differently?

Also, this engine has a tendency to kick back a lot. (A result of the timing being incredibly advanced with no impulse coupling) If it does that more than once, I assume that the engine is flooded, but this doesn't seem to work all the great for me, so any advice on what to do after the engine kicks back once will also be helpful.

I love these old airplanes and most of the quirks that go along with them, but I would really like to reliably start them. After about 40 starts on this engine, I still don't have it figured out, so its time to ask the experts.

Thank you!