Thread: Medical

Medical

I am interested in flying but I have a medical condition that would prevent me from getting my PPL. I have an aortic valve implant and a pacemaker.I have a valid driver's license. I am a mechanic for a living. I also ride road bicycles (up to 80 miles in one day), ride sport touring motorcycles, scuba dive, swim, work on restoring my 53 year old house, etc... I have no physical limitations according to my doctors. Am I eligable to recieve a Sport Pilot License? I'm thinking of gettting a Quicksilver 2 seater and eventually moving to a Skycatcher. Is this possible or am I just plain out of luck?

Quote Originally Posted by ducatibob View Post
    I am interested in flying but I have a medical condition that would prevent me from getting my PPL. I have an aortic valve implant and a pacemaker.I have a valid driver's license. I am a mechanic for a living. I also ride road bicycles (up to 80 miles in one day), ride sport touring motorcycles, scuba dive, swim, work on restoring my 53 year old house, etc... I have no physical limitations according to my doctors. Am I eligable to recieve a Sport Pilot License? I'm thinking of gettting a Quicksilver 2 seater and eventually moving to a Skycatcher. Is this possible or am I just plain out of luck?
    Hey Bob, I had a Ducati in the '70s. Hopefully they have improved since then.

If you go to the FAA website they have a Q & A section pertaining to sport pilots. It says you can not exercise sport pilot privileges with a medical deficiency. Then they advise those with a potential medical deficiency to consult with their private physican to see if the medical condition would interfere with acting as a sport pilot. If the Dr. says it's okay, then you're good to go. Choose your Dr. carefully - make sure they understand the rules. Some day in the future you may be able to obtain a private pilot certificate with no medical. I think your chances are good. Very good.

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...n/sportpilots/

You are not just plain out of luck.

Do not take an FAA physical. If you do and are denied, then you are just plain out of luck.

Here's what the FAA says about your situation:

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...n/sportpilots/

The key sentence is :
    "You should consult your private physician to determine whether you have a medical deficiency that would interfere with the safe performance of sport piloting duties."

That sentence is repeated at least twice in the FAA's guidance. As long as you have a driver's license, it is up to you, with whatever help you think you need from your personal physician (sounds like you've already consulted them), to determine if your physical situation would interfere with the safe performance of sport piloting duties. You apply your standards of safety. Contrary to what a few would tell you, those standards are not necessarily the same as those applied to an FAA physical examination.

However, contrary to what many would tell you, the standard is not just possession of a driver's license. Additionally, you have to determine in your own mind that you can safely fly. If you ride motorcycles, scuba dive, swim and do house restoration safely, my bet is you would determine accurately that you'd be safe to fly.

So the answer is yes, you are eligible to receive a Sport Pilot License.