Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alright Yall Convinced me!! I am going to the 2012 Airventure!

Gently56.... I did the same thing. BUT, as FlyinRon mentioned, the calendar defaults to JUNE first, so select the month first and then you can pick your JULY arrival date.

I'm making my first trip too this year and coming from the Philadelphia PA region. Saturday from PA to Western OH, and then the rest of the way on Sunday. If you see a Red/Silver motorcycle, that will be me!

Quote Originally Posted by Gently56 View Post
    Hey Thanks for the replies, I went to the website to get advance Camping permits and was STUNNED when I seen the price for camp scholler!
    I seen the price for admission for the full week with my grand son I thought "thats alright, I can see the value in the cost for admission for both of us, no worries" cant really do much anywhere for 185 a week. Then I went to the camping site, because I figured 25 bucks a day not bad...then I put in my info and WHAMMO 888.00 buck for the week!!! Really...REALLY .....ummmmm no! My math says 24.00 a day times 7 days makes 168.00 add two more and at worst and 216.00 plus tax not 888.00 a week! Oh, and my Overlord went ballistic! So my question is very simple....Is this for real or is the reserved camping not set up yet on the website? I do not want to drive 11 hours just to turn around and go back for the lack of no where to stay for the week. I want to go, I need to go, I dream of going! BUT, Holy Moley thats expensive!

Also, a query, about my 9 year old grand son admission, is he also under a guest member or a student? I understand that if my wife goes its full 110.00 a week but what about my grandson is he a "guest" at the 110.00 or a student at 85.00 enquiring minds want to know! (and so does the Overlord)

Thanks guys for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    Sounds like some math got broken somewhere, definitely! Can I ask you to send an email to membership@eaa.org or give them a call at 1-800-564-6322 to A) help you get the right numbers, and B) help us figure out what went wrong?

Thanks - and we're glad you decided to come

- Hal
    Thanks for your offer Hal, but I managed to sort it out. I would like to know, though, are campfires allowed? I dont mean a roaring blaze, but enough to cook on? I have a campstove but my young Padawan has never had food cooked over a campfire (not marshmellows and hot dogs I mean real food like steak and chops.) Anyhoo all that is left is to plan the route, I want to avoid Chicago, so some mapquest stuff is needed.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Glad you got it figured out!

And, yes, campfires are allowed. The one thing to consider is that Wisconsin does have laws prohibiting the import of firewood from out-of-state.

http://www.airventure.org/planning/camp_scholler_guidelines.html

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Thanks for your offer Hal, but I managed to sort it out. I would like to know, though, are campfires allowed? I dont mean a roaring blaze, but enough to cook on? I have a campstove but my young Padawan has never had food cooked over a campfire (not marshmellows and hot dogs I mean real food like steak and chops.) Anyhoo all that is left is to plan the route, I want to avoid Chicago, so some mapquest stuff is needed.
    By car, taking 294 around west Chicago or I think someone told me 355? A little further west eases some of the heavy traffic. I am heading far west to rockford IL and heading north from there, but I'll be on my motorcycle. See my other thread for my planned route.

Anyhoo all that is left is to plan the route, I want to avoid Chicago, so some mapquest stuff is needed.
    Something else you may consider is timing your trip so you can traverse Chicago between midnight and 4 am. I have made it from Gary to Waukegon in ~1hr using that method. I just can't seem to get the freight dog working hrs out of my system....

Hi everyone!
    For those of you that have NEVER attended EAA Oshkosh before, be ready for a little shock factor. No matter what you have seen, read or heard, it is bigger and better than what you expect.
    Be preparred! It can be hot, cold, wet, dry, calm, windy, muddy, dusty, sunny, cloudy, but there is no place that I would rather be for that week.
    I have not missed a year since 1974. I have taken my parents, now both have passed away, my fiance', spent my honeymoon there, took both of our children before they were one year old and has now turned into a family tradition. Both of our daughters are now in the military and try to make a point of coming "home" during that week to spend time at "Oshkosh".
    The people at EAA make a sincere effort to see that there truely is something for everyone there. That can include, but is not limited to shopping, movies, live theatre, big name entertainment, bands, displays, vendors, food/beverage, history and of course an airshow! We try to have a campfire every night in Camp Schoeller, live in a tent and park our vehicle next to our campsite. We invite everyone in the nieghborhood to sit around the fire and have conversed with a lot of interesting people over the years. It doesn't matter if you are young or old, male or female, you will find something of interest at Oshkosh unless you aren't trying. We started by spending one day, then progressed to three days, now we spend the entire week. Since 1974 we have NEVER had anything stolen from our campsite. There is first aid, fire crews and security available in the campground. It is almost impossible elsewhere in our society to find a community of 40,000 that get along as well. There is an open invite for all of you to stop by and ask for advice based on our experiences. Hope to see you there and above all, have fun!!

No one has mentioned that there is a motorized scooter available for rent by the main gate, just be sitting down for the price. Last year I believe it was $40 or $60 a day! But my 86 year old dad (B-29, B-24, B-25 pilot) with one knew knee loved it.
    No matter how far you push the envelope; its still stationary!

Alrighty Then..Its a done deal!!!!
    Just purchased the entry and camping for the week! Amazingly simple after I sorted it out and one phone call to EAA. I plan on staying the whole week (Sunday to...whenever) Whooo Hooo!!!

Now to get the gear togeather and air out the tent (Debating on one of those "portable" A/C's for the tent) Load up the ole HHR and a short 14 hour drive and whammo going for the "Maxium allowable fun" factor!

SEE YA'LL THERE!!!

I'm getting worked up myself, looking FWD to it.

Alrighty Then..Its a done deal!!!!
    Just purchased the entry and camping for the week! Amazingly simple after I sorted it out and one phone call to EAA. I plan on staying the whole week (Sunday to...whenever) Whooo Hooo!!!

Now to get the gear togeather and air out the tent (Debating on one of those "portable" A/C's for the tent) Load up the ole HHR and a short 14 hour drive and whammo going for the "Maxium allowable fun" factor!

SEE YA'LL THERE!!!
    If I may be so bold to suggest that I doubt you will need that air conditioner. I don't recall a time that I was HOT during the evening sleeping in a tent. Last year, I got INSIDE the sleeping bag each night, and it was pulled up to my neck. It does cool down nicely, and how much time do you think you will be spending in the tent during the heat of the day? Also, to power the A/C, you will need power so you would need to bring power with you in the form of a generator, always a welcome site to your neighbors. I just don't think you will need it. Now, I will add that at my age, getting up off the ground is a thing of the past, cots are the only way to go.

You will never forget this trip, and neither will your grandson. You do need to be prepared for any sort of bad weather that may blow through. I have had to spend time standing up in my tent hold it upright when a squall line comes thru. A weather radio is a good thing to bring.

Also, when you traverse the area from where you will be camped, to the gate, you will note the area where the Kiwi's and Aussies camp, near the Red Barn (the Camp Scholler one, not the Vintage Red Bard). Stay away from their area with your grandson. At night they have wild tribal music, ritual sacrifices, and other "goings on" too horrible to describe . I also concur with going thru Chicago late at night. That was one of my favorite parts when I used to take driving trips to OSH. Eating cold pizza, whizzing up the Tri State Tollway, and showing up at OSH early in the a.m. THAT is living.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195