Thread: novist

Shocked novist

can you guys tell me what is the approx overall cost of a ch750 with viking engine, with complete insturments, upholestry, big tires, big lights, etc., well you get the picture, i will be building it myself, pls reply as soon as you can get up off the floor

Quote Originally Posted by mroldshadow View Post
    can you guys tell me what is the approx overall cost of a ch750 with viking engine, with complete insturments, upholestry, big tires, big lights, etc., well you get the picture, i will be building it myself, pls reply as soon as you can get up off the floor
    Are you building from scratch or buying the kit? Well, no matter, you're looking at an all in investment of $40k-$50k.
    There are some guys that have built CH 700's for a $20k dollar bill.....but they are builders.

Are you building from scratch or buying the kit? Well, no matter, you're looking at an all in investment of $40k-$50k.
    Also it depends on what you're using for instruments (glass vs. traditional gauges) and how fancy you want to get with the upholstery, etc.

big lights

well you get the picture, i will be building it myself, pls reply as soon as you can get up off the floor
    Do what?
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by mroldshadow View Post
    I couldn't find a "total cost to flight" estimate on their website. Might be there, but here's a quick estimate:
    15000 - basic airframe kit
    4500 - airframe finishing kit (landing gear, wheels/tires/brakes, etc.)
    1100 - upholstery, upgrade to "big" wheels/tires
    1000 - folding wing hardware, crating charge
    10000 - panel (a big Dynon, a bunch of sensors, com, xpdr, elt, intercom, etc.)
    5000 - paint (having it painted - very basic job)
    13500 - Viking engine
    2000 - prop & spinner
    1000 - freight (kit, engine, parts, everything, everywhere)
    ------

So, you could paint it yourself (or leave off the paint). You could skip the big tire upgrade (though they cost more to buy separately later, as they credit deletion of the stock wheels/tires). Skip the folding wing - not sure what your interest in this is. You chould "cheapen up" the panel considerably - used radios (though fixing hardware that doesn't really work right or breaks soon after you get it can be more of a hassle than it's worth, and new uncertified comms aren't that much less cost than used yellow-tagged certified...) - "steam" gauges, etc. Skip the attitude sensor & remote compass sensor, etc. This probably doesn't include ANY lights. So you can pick your own - figure on $500 or so for position (LED) and another couple hundred for a landing/taxi light kit. Or again, make your own for less... Upholstery - same thing - you might be able to make your own (or have it made locally) for somewhat less, but then there's the hassle factor - finding a shop, working with them, getting something done to your satisfaction... or just pay the factory price and slip the stuff on...

Another answer:
    Find one on Barnstormers that's kind of how you like it, note their price then deduct some for "seller optimism" (it's the best airplane they've ever built) then add some for doing it yourself (mistakes you have to pay for but can't use, stuff you do but then do over because it doesn't work out right / you don't like it / you find a better way, etc.). If you want to skip the years of building and in all liklihood save some money, just buy the one that's already flying. There's one on there right now for only $85k. Could be some mark-up in there, because E-AB's typically will increase in value above cost-to-build once they have some evidence that they were built right (flight time), but it could also be due to the particular choices that builder made - how much they spent on paint, the engine, the panel - any quick-build options, etc.
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com