Thread: Rum Diary aircraft

Hunter Valley in New South Wales Australia

Rum Diary aircraft

Could someone tell me what that red single engine aircraft that is towing the banner is in movie the Rum Diary

Cheers
    Ozzie

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    Could someone tell me what that red single engine aircraft that is towing the banner is in movie the Rum Diary
    Haven't seen the movie, but doing a "Rum Diary Airplane" Google image search comes up with a Twin Bee, the twin-engine conversion of the SeaBee.

http://www.republicseabee.com/uc1.html

Ron Wanttaja

Plenty of information on Eric Weaver's Twin Seabee, another interesting scene is at the airport with a DC3 in Pan American livery. In the background it looks like at Lockheed 12 taking off. But it was the opening scene with the red radial powered single towing a banner saying 'welcome Union Carbide' that got my interest. Loved all the old classic 'yank tanks' as well. And ya heart has to go out to that poor old little Fiat 500.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    I haven't seen the movie, which is weird, because there's airplanes in it... But, according to YouTube, it opens with a red PA-18-150 Super Cub, flying with no cowl (which gives it a radial look from certain angles) and a small cargo(?) pod. This airplane is used in real life for banner towing, but I don't see a banner in this clip, and don't know if it appears again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-XSodMn-2s

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Thanks for finding that opening clip Hal. We watched the movie at our Drop Zone and i actually missed most of those first couple minutes when i was grabbing a beer. The no cowl and what looks like a belly tank/pod got me.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Ozzie; 05-25-2012 at 12:18 AM.