Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction and advise requested

Introduction and advise requested

Hi,

After a long absence, I am back on this forum and hope to be able to contribute. I am french, living in Canada , flying since I am 14 and fan of aviation history. My first Eaa convention was in 91 (at 17, and I hope to come this year for the first time in family.
    A few years ago , a stupid accident costed me my medical, (I get it back last year) but in the mean time I started a web site dedicated to build an online aviation library in order to keep in touch with aviation.

The project has grown up, I launched two weeks ago a new version of the site and I am in the process now to create a not for profit organization dedicated to build an aviation library and to help to preserve the aeronautic heritage (restoration project started this year).

Web site is www.avialogs.com , right now around 6000 documents are online (ww2 manuals, etc).

If you put to trash aviation related documents, books, old service bulletins, etc, please don't . Contact me here or trough the site and we will be glad to archive and scan them. Again this is a non commercial project and everybody who wants to help is welcome.

One request ... I am looking for information about aircraft recovery from water, I already have several info but I am looking for someone with experience on the topic.

Benoit
    Last edited by avialogs; 05-17-2012 at 08:06 AM.

Hi Benoit, and welcome.

I don't know anything about aircraft recovery from water, and I dearly hope I never have to learn. But I'm sure you can find experts on the subject at Oshkosh this year.

Though you didn't mention it, this is my chance to complement Vintage Wings of Canada on their presence at Oshkosh last year. It was wonderful seeing and learning about the Swordfish. And they had the classiest T-shirt at the show.

Mike E

The FAA Advisory Circular # AC 43.13-1 available at www.FAA.gov has a section "HANDLING AND CARE OF AIRCRAFT RECOVERED FROM WATER IMMERSION". May be useful to you.

I am looking for information about aircraft recovery from water, I already have several info but I am looking for someone with experience on the topic.
    Three major questions:
    1. How old?
    2. How deep?
    3. How big?

I've helped (as a diver for a volunteer fire department) fish a couple of small planes out of lakes after they either ditched or the pilot botched a water landing. Not an expert by any stretch but I'm happy to point you to the right people if have a specific project in mind.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Try contacting Oceaneering in BayouVista Louisisana and also Cal-Dive and Subsea, all commercial diving companies in the Gulf of mexico and actually at least Oceaneering is international. I'd tell you to drop my name but they would probably hang up on you. I'm sure they have recovered some aircraft or know who has in the Gulf anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Racegunz View Post
    Try contacting Oceaneering in BayouVista Louisisana and also Cal-Dive and Subsea, all commercial diving companies in the Gulf of mexico and actually at least Oceaneering is international. I'd tell you to drop my name but they would probably hang up on you. I'm sure they have recovered some aircraft or know who has in the Gulf anyways.

Speaking of Hanging up Mmy Buddy from Vinceness University never did call me back.. I have got to go back home to Indiana.

Quote Originally Posted by RV8505 View Post
    Speaking of Hanging up Mmy Buddy from Vinceness University never did call me back.. I have got to go back home to Indiana.
    You know that you're always welcome back here.

Beyond the personal connection (clarification: RV8505 and one of my uncles used to work together), I open my door (at least figuratively, if not literally in all cases due to various limitations on space, etc) to any EAA member in need. Yes, even those I vehemently argue and bicker with on the forums. If you are flying or driving through Indiana and need help, I'm a call or PM away and if I can't help you, then I will find someone who can. We may fight and may actually truly dislike one another because of what is said on this forum, but I still look at you guys as family.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Your uncle worked with all of those guys at Vincencens Uiniversity. Ed " Special " Brigman, Dan Gunder and Boomer. all worked at Britt. I probably should go up there when I get home to keep the lines of contact open.

Steve:
    70 years old, 30ft, around 4000lbs. (we hope!)
    We have located it (magnetometer) at the bottom of one lake after several reports both from fisher and from local story, it was not disturbed during all this time. I worked on aircraft Restoration project while I was living in France and see this as an opportunity to get back on this. The aircraft was belonging to the fleet air arm if we are spot on. I am now trying to figure it legal status today and evaluate the funding required.

Next step for us will be to take some photos and to secure the recovery both from a technical and legal perspective.
    Last edited by avialogs; 05-24-2012 at 06:02 AM.

It's not the lake on the canada / maine border with the two corsairs in it is it