Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultralight plane(s) in a barn story

Ultralight plane(s) in a barn story

Say you come across 2 complete, maybe enough pieces for 2 more, 2-place (aka "fat") ultralights in a soon to be abandoned barn. They've been stored for a number of years and were never registered as LSA. Looking for (more) suggestions on what to do with them.

I believe the "window" to register an ultralight as a LSA or amateur built expired in 2010. Unless you can prove you built or meet the 51% rule to register the airplanes as amateur built experimental aircraft, the complete airplanes are simply a collection of parts. If the weight and speed restrictions can be met for an ultralight - then keep them as ultralight airplanes. Don't forget a ballistic parachute will give you an additional weight allowance which may allow a "fat" ultralight meet the regulatory weight restriction.

They are worthless and can't be used for anything.

You should contact me and I'll take em off your hands.. :-)

They can probably be registered in Canada as basic ultralights ... so you could possibly sell them north of the border ...

You dont have to show that you built 51% of the plane to register it as experimental. The plane itself needs to meet the 51% rule. You just wont get the repairmans cert for them, so an A&P will have to inspect all work and do the annual inspection

'airporthound' had it almost right. Only he should have told you to contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by njones View Post
    They can probably be registered in Canada as basic ultralights ...
    That's an interesting suggestion...however, I though a 2-seat basic ultralight in Canada was limited to to training roles. Might be worth investigating.

The amateur-built route simply won't work as none of these 'vehicles' fit the definition that the "major portion was fabricated and assembled for recreation/education.

Can certainly be restored to a legal US ultralight vehicle with minimum fuss.

[QUOTE=martymayes;1329]

The amateur-built route simply won't work as none of these 'vehicles' fit the definition that the "major portion was fabricated and assembled for recreation/education.

QUOTE]

How come? Were they built for commercial use? I would think they were built for recreation....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

If they are a barn find then most likely it would be unsafe to fly these aircraft with out an extensive maintenance check. I would disassemble everything down to the "kit stage" and then document the building of these aircraft and add enough new parts to meet the 51% rule. Then I could legaly register them as AB and more importantly I could be sure they are safe to fly and built correctly.
    Fixnflyr

Quote Originally Posted by fixnflyr View Post
    If they are a barn find then most likely it would be unsafe to fly these aircraft with out an extensive maintenance check. I would disassemble everything down to the "kit stage" and then document the building of these aircraft and add enough new parts to meet the 51% rule. Then I could legaly register them as AB and more importantly I could be sure they are safe to fly and built correctly.
    Fixnflyr
    Thats got my vote