Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ACTUAL steps to Sport Pilot Certificate?

Quote Originally Posted by Racegunz View Post
    The FSDO didn't charge me anything for the student certificate...
    Fella called me a few days ago about re-starting his quest for a Sport Pilot rating in his Flightstar. Had been flying it as a renegade ultralight years ago, started the quest to get legal back when that was an easier task but he money'd out, his wife she, his kids they, his dog it, etc etc etc, the regular suspects. Sure, I'll work with him. Then he says his student sport pilot certificate is outdated and he'll stop by the FSDO where he got it for a fresh one. Surprise, "we don't do that any more." Well knock me over with a feather. It's on the FAA website as one of the FSDO duties and services. Anybody else run into this?

Thanks, folks.

What's the FSDO? I'm told we have a really good group in Little Rock. My DPE had to talk to her to find out if he could do my check ride, and I talked to her a few days later...
    Very helpful.
    Contact the guy at the 'light sport branch', he's real helpful too.
    Contact Information
    Larry L. Buchanan
    Branch Manager AFS-610
    Phone: (405) 954-6400
    Fax: (405) 954-6688

Mailing Address:
    U.S. Department of Transportation
    Federal Aviation Administration
    Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center
    P.O. Box 25082
    Oklahoma City, OK 73125

Physical Address:
    U.S. Department of Transportation
    Federal Aviation Administration
    Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center
    6500 S. MacArthur Boulevard
    ARB, Room 304A
    Oklahoma City, OK 73169

I was the first SP student my CFI had that was serious, and he wound up using me to adjust his syllabus - I have a knack for screwing up in new and inventive ways!
    Frank, in all my years as a CFI nearly every student required some form of adjustment on my part, though not always to the actual syllabus. It's just the nature of people that they're all different, and a decent CFI soon develops a stable of several different ways of explaining most things, just in order to communicate. After a few years there are fewer adjustments, but they're always there, in one form or another.

Glad you did it in a tailwheel -- it forces your attention to the details of handling in ways that are otherwise very difficult to achieve.

Larry N.