Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Norm's Flying Boat UL Flight Test Progress

Oops Sorry my reporting is rather lacking in detail. Looking at my log the aircraft has seem more stress than just 20 landings that 20 was for last Sat. touch and go practice. Although I never saw any sign before .And Sat. opps were of no sever consequence. The plane has seen several hard landings and one sever the kind that would if it were land based been catastrophic to the landing gear. seasons total landings are 50 + Last year there were no lift offs but still had some stressful opps
    The blame goes to the Pilot ME The area will be reinforced I expect there will be no more bad behavior on ether part plane or Pilot

I have been wondering why these EAA pages do not have more posts. I recently rediscovered http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/forum.php It seems that is where the action is. http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/fo...ht-stuff-area/ is the UL stuff.

Another flying season is here. Mine is rather late this year . I did finally get the plane to the lake . The winter gave me time to work on some minor changes to the float system. A contour change to the bottom of the main hull. and addition of foam to the rear hulls. to increase displacement. that which was done seams to be good for the take off. the weather was not cooperative and quickly canceled activities. I could not draw any conclusions as to whether I can remove the wing attack angle spacers. [That is another subject from another change] lateral stability was good and static floatation [void of pilot] enough that after coming home I cut away the tail boom float. that tail float was 5# way back aft made the plane cg aft a bit more than I want. Hope next week end is a better one.

Sat June 22. Winds NW @ 0-1 Surface flat to slight ripple. takeoff is still difficult with no head wind. For every thing else its much better this year. with only a 1 mph head wind take off from idle to lift off is 6 seconds.
    It was a real fine morning flew for 2 hrs till the tank was to low to trust any more flights since I can not see it in flight. Activities consisted of touch and goes and go a round's.

After discussions with my mentor. a trim control, a reflex trailing edge was removed. On the all flying stabilator. It was providing neutral stick pressure.Test trials for Sunday June 23. Again zero winds nothing detectable anyway. Take off in both direction off a glass surface was achieved in a reasonable time of about 10 seconds. I will be applying a bungee to reduce stick pressure. the next test will be to reconfigure the wing to zero applied attack .The wing needed a spacer applying a 2 degree fixed presentation. This is an incidence difference between the hull and wing only . The thrust line is fixed to the wing with a wing mounted engine.
    I believe this will be an interesting test.The plane would not fly in this configuration. but do to a particular change that may have a different outcome. if so I have a most exceptional little seaplane I may be able to test on the 4th. It already pleases me extremely.
    I will be taking the plane to a fly in by trailer no flying 6th and 7th.

Test flight Sun. June 30. The wing was lowered to the original attack attitude. This is a nearly neutral in appearance to the hull. Actually 3 degree to the wings chord . Conditions were a 5 to 10 mph head wind. Lift off was easy and repeatable with these conditions. Lift off from idle taxi was between 8 and 15 seconds the first was from a longer run at medium taxi . the other was test and both were videoed second proved to be 15 seconds. I hoped for better but last year this configuration would not even fly. No down wind take off and I think no windless take off ether.I will put back some spacer maybe one inch and call it done.

This video from Sunday with calm water and no wind showing take off and landing performance.

This will likely end this thread as there will not be much more but to continue to fly and enjoy its been a long project 8 years aand now its complete . I can adjust for conditions with applied attack or fly with rotation only with a head wind.

I took the plane to a local fly-in. They have a small pond. I was asked to float the plane . So I agreed and also to demo the fast taxi without take off. I am not skilled enough to make the landing even though it is very possible.I am just not ready.
    I did do a very fast run and some fine still pics were taken and e-mailed tome later here is one of the best.Name:  grnlnd fast taxi.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  95.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Langlois View Post
    I took the plane to a local fly-in. They have a small pond. I was asked to float the plane . So I agreed and also to demo the fast taxi without take off. I am not skilled enough to make the landing even though it is very possible.I am just not ready.I did do a very fast run and some fine still pics were taken and e-mailed tome later here is one of the best.Name:  grnlnd fast taxi.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  95.8 KB
    Congrat.... Wow, you take time to optimize your plane... In French we said: La perseverance est les pré requis des resultats!!! Congratulation and Where are you at withy he modifications on your plane???

I put the plane to bed for the winter. I think to sum it up I am very pleased with how it performs take off is very acceptable , landing very smooth and easy for me. I guess I can not ask for anything more of it. Some damage to the hull from abrasion at launch. This ,will need to be repaired, and while doing so I will make one final modification. I will remove the center keel at the CG and flatten the hull going aft to about a 3 degree angle upward to the transom wall this will reduce the abrasion, and shear that has happened..It will also enhance rotation and reduce drag when on step.
    Happy Holidays to all !! I will be around .