Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Norm's Flying Boat UL Flight Test Progress

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Langlois View Post
    I rather have the transition from water to air at lower speed and not so abrupt. the plane should fly at 25 -27 mph and may require a bit more to break away.
    That reminded me of flat bottom mud boats used in the marsh. On smooth water, they would accelerate and drag quickly matched the thrust from the motor. If you hit any chop or even ripples in the water, the suction on the bottom would break and the boat would accelerate another 10 mph. It was so abrupt if felt like you were hit from behind.

Sounds like a real 'experiment' in progress Norm.

the Step

There was no test the week end before last. The modifications were not ready. This past week end I did get the test done. The step was in fact a step backwards. The results were poor. this was and add on blister step . the result was a change of the hull plane . Nose down . this was terrible all the incidence angles were off. the thrust line was down because the engine incidence is a fixed 3 degree negative with the wing chord line. when I put a spacer under the leading edge to increase the incidence chord line to hull. it moves with it.When the blister was added it put the wing incidence to neutral with the hull plane and the engine thrust pushes 3 degrees down on the nose creating that bow loaded effect.so much drag I could get only 25 mph at full throttle. a good head wind and some ability to rock the boat [rotate] I got into the air. For just one time with a fine landing I could not repeat a lift off.

All the guilty effects removed I will try again this week end to get it right and move on with the program.
    I expect I will finally have it right and this thread will turn into Flight Testing . But not by me.

Finally some acceptable take off control. But not before another week end of failure. Last week was only a fraction better than the previous post.I had only removed a portion of the step. Now completely removed and back to a point four week ends ago .I get favorable lift off and flying has become more pleasurable even if it is mostly only in ground effect. I have a 2 mile lake I get to fly for a mile at 5 or 6 ft if I wish. I flew 15 to 20 lift off and landings this morning.Till the wind kicked in and I chose to leave.
    I have someone coming to give the plane a thorough test flight. before any more is added to my flying .
    Something about the plane as it is flying is achieved after 26 mph is reached . With one turn on a 68 inch IVO grnd. adjustable . and a 440 Kawasaki 2.7 belt reduction. @ 5000 rpm and rotate. cruise at 4100 in ground effect. 5000 rpm will produce 50 mph in level cruise.. That engine will give me higher speed @ 6000 but I need to hold the stick hard forward. 6000 Its like an elevator and you need not add any attack angle.

I had a great time today finally getting to enjoy the air time instead of struggling to get into the air.
    Looking forward to more such days.

Regards to all Norm

Norm, Sounds great! Need some pictures! Congrats on getting it figured out, and wish you well with the flight testing. -Zach

Progress

Stand by for a end of August progress report on activities.

Quoting from the test pilots book of mandatory phrases,"the airplane behaves just as we thought it would"; no, correct that, "the airplane flies even better than predicted". OK, I have to admit, "The airplane is still in one piece".

Or as the pilot said, "Don't worry mom, every thing is fine".

Signed,

The Joker

I finally have some good pictures and good videos you need to click on the chevrons to cycle through the videos after the still shots. sorry pictures no longer available ( picasa ) web page 404
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 02-24-2018 at 06:28 PM.

Congratulations. Great video. "Pic 61" is a great touch and go sequence. Smooth looking. I got a chance to see your wing rotate for trailering at the YUF fly-in in Greenland. Nice. Hope you get to enjoy some flying this fall.

Major congrats, Norm. We can only imagine the time and effort you put into solving all the problems and questions that came up during the process of building your airplane. It is gratifying for me to see it flying, I can only guess how it must feel for you. Great work!!
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Winter is approaching. It's going to be long and boring.
    I remembered I never gave the final update for the years end.
    The post 4th above was actually done by my test pilot signed the Joker.
    After that week end I have been the test pilot. Student test pilot. I also conclude it flies better than expected and better than I hopped for . Since being a beginner it is very easy for me to take off and land. It is also gentle hanging in the 5 degree dihedral in calm condition and only a little roll sensitive when its windy when you have a wing up wind.

I flew a solid hour last week end until the cold got to me . I set down and went back to the landing. being that it is experimental I expect there will be some thing to improve and there is ,20 plus take off and landings have caused some flex and stress cracks to the hull cockpit walls.

For the rest of the airplane minor damage comes from road rash, and hanger rash .The plane is holding up well otherwise.

I will be tending to some small changes to the hull. All my issues are related to water behavior. and incidence angles related to the hull.that effect the take off . The balance was spot on. An addition to the elevator was made to trim out the stick pressure.
    That now is neutral and only some slight roll pressure was noted last flight, That may have been just the wind condition .
    I now have to wait a long looooong wait. for Spring
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 11-02-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Glad to hear everything is going well Norman.

Fix those cockpit/hull walls though—it's never good to hear that stuff is breaking after only 20+ takeoffs and landings.