Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Norm's Flying Boat UL Flight Test Progress

Jerry Yes I did.

My original was to have wheels and floatation was to be added the old thread had pictures of that on the start of the thread. Things do evolve . My main desire was to have a seaplane . I was far down the scale of knowledge thinking there was not much difference to fly one or the other. Still the lake is such a large taxi way it makes learning to control and having an accident via collision with something less likely .
    I have enjoyed my excursions on the lake in-spite of the issues. This last taxi runs were very pleasing good ruder stability was right on with the roll control. It was just being a water plow that sucked. 23 mph 6200 rpm at 2.7: 1 ratio on a 68 inch IVO 2 blade prop at 26 pitch aprox. All I could get was 23 mph. very unlike my test back in May .I could have easily taken off then. I will get this drag issue resolved. and the ground handling. If I had a D9 I could cut a runway outside my door LOL Id make a a skid rail and land on the grass on return LOL. 600 ft runway do it.just joking
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 02-24-2018 at 06:11 PM.

Hi Norm...

I just got caught up with the progress you have made since we talked last year...looks good and I'm sure you will have that ship lifting off the lake very soon...

Regards,

Gordon.

The after noon of July 4th. Another poor taxi run. Again not enough airspeed . Causes are excessive drag from the new float. The wind was a bit more than I like to deal with at this new launch site and there was a tail wind going out a channel into more open water. Full speed with a tail wind nothing good, not able to get on step.

Turns are very difficult not having a water ruder. And required leaning out at idle speeds to get around, and into the wind. heading back to the landing full throttle into the wind was a bit closer but still not able to get on step. also seems I can not rotate at all that wing float may be preventing it and adds drag when I try . with no video to see the problems (no boat anymore) It become more guess and trial and error.
    Having a new assistant will insure I get more time to fix it.(My Grandson)

I plan to try less added float with no bridging and no contact when rotating . No idea what that is yet .

I took my plane to a local fly = in. It was well received. Still I felt a bit short having to tell them It has not been flown yet and why. Still all was good to have the enthusiasm for my project. This being an U/L fly - in . real U/L's are very scarce . I made the choice to show rather than run a test on Sat. even though I have already created a solution. Next week end I will be back at the lake. With this new resolve a high float attached tot the tail boom. It is actually one of my first sponsons. this will remain out of the water at any speed above slow taxi Name:  float changes 012.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  96.4 KB

Test Saturday July 14th was on the positive side. The newest float worked well [pictured above attached to the tail boom]
    A problem does still exists . I'm getting closer.
    Parameters for the day fuel is several weeks old. local high test mo gas with 10 %
    90+ deg. afternoon low wind. calm water. only the occasional wake chop. The lake is elongated east, west
    Runs made in both directions. On plane at 6000 rpm speed to 25 mph, No lift off !
    Throttle to full 6500 rpm speed to 30 mph no lift off !
    The plane seams to be nosing down or hard level hull plane.It could due to a poor hull contour .Still good straight ahead control. One small instance of lift off occurred, when cresting a wake from another boat. A speed surge was present but short lived as well as probably me resisting flight. There was no rotation available full back stick . The plane refused. nose down is easy . I expect an angle of incidence change is needed as well as some other improvements.
    Regards Norm

Its Sat. Again and I have returned safely from another Taxi test. Today's parameters are 4 gals. new 93 octane 10% Mo-Gas. weather is warm and breezy . first runs have altered pitch settings .Ground adjustable IVO 68 inch 2 blade 4 turns produced to much slippage and greatly reduce my max rpm. As well so did 3 and 2 turns I am now only 1 turn from the neutral pitch setting.
    Another change was to add in a spacer block under the leading edge mount this produces a 2-1/2 Degree angle of incidence between the hull and wing. It was neutral.

Air born at approx. 32 MPH This being my first time in the air. I tried to keep it low and it refused . I quickly found my self 50 ft in the air. never out of control It just bumped up with each wind gust. I gained level flight and reduced my throttle to 6000 and level cruise was still gaining altitude . Control was good . I was just concerned with getting back down reducing to 4600 I descended to ground effect. I flared a bit to high but it still settled back onto the lake gracefully if a bit sudden. I plan further excursions into the air this week I am on vacation and have the time.
    A video taken for the rotation problem shows that the last portion of my sponson are preventing the normal rotation, lift off I flew the plane off the water today.
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 07-21-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Congratulations...

...I've been away from this site a while, but still get e-mail updates when you update this thread.

I was fortunate to see your bird briefly in Greenland. I'm a Y.U.F. member, but was away most of the weekend and couldn't work the fly-in. But I did stop by briefly on Sunday and saw your u/l loaded up on the trailer. Wing rotated. Similar mechanism to the backyard flyer? Or something new?

Anyway. Glad to see so much progress.

A video from the test runs described above. This was on the second run after 1 prop pitch adjustment the camera was adjusted to shoot the float. Problems related to rotation this video shows that the float is preventing rotation. At least in part.
    deleted photo bucket link

These pictures are my resolve and is to be tested tomorrow. I carved into the float where a triangle of planning surface was greatest during lift off speeds.Name:  float changes 028.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  94.5 KBName:  float changes 029.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  94.9 KBName:  float changes 030.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  94.4 KB
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 02-24-2018 at 06:17 PM.

The modifications improved but has not eliminated the lift off speed problem .That being to much is required to break the bond with the water..

Lift off this morning was achieved twice both with much smoother landing . Actually the landings were smooth and well executed. The first was as achieved at 6000 rpm lift off was to around 7 ft and maintained comfortably but only long enough to prove the modification helped but is not the complete solution. The second lift off was again to fast and resulted in 30 + ft altitude. A gain the landing smooth and near perfect.The conditions for today were calm air smooth water conditions . yet still enough air movement in one direction to make all the difference .Yes the dummy that knows absolutely nothing about flying was in fact flying. Sorry that has to do with the other thread, witch was turning into a pissing match.

The relatively short flights are the result of the small lake and the need to land soon or commit and go for altitude and go around. That will come in time when I get the approval. Gee Norm is in training but that's none of anyone's bossiness who or what the plan form is.

A few additions to the plane
    No flight test since the above mentioned. Adding in a yaw string pylon. and an companion pylon 12 in. away.
    Also the planned add on of a step. the original intent was that the transom was to be located at the step point and none was needed. well its needed the CG is about 14 inches forward of the transom. The plane will fly off the water but takes excessive ground speed /water to get it done. the result is a controlled but undesirable rapid increase in elevation.
    I have it reduced a bit by providing an increased angle of incidence, between the hull and wing. I rather have the transition from water to air at lower speed and not so abrupt. the plane should fly at 25 -27 mph and may require a bit more to break away.Name:  hull modification 004.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  94.2 KBName:  hull modification 005.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  95.3 KBName:  hull modification 006.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  94.7 KB