Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Norm's Flying Boat UL Flight Test Progress

Name:  new tail finished plane 014.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  96.7 KB Took the plane on its first road trip this year to work where the floor space permitted some weights and balance check. My boss like me LOL.
    The best news I can tell you IT QUALIFIES!!! weighing in at 287 # The rest isn't so good I have some work fixing the CG.
    I get right on that though .
    Regards ALL

Tail heavy I presume. Where is current CG as a percent of MAC? For your weight ______ and for 140 pound 200 pound pilot?
    Last edited by jedi; 05-07-2012 at 04:18 PM.

The current CG was calculated with myself in the pilots seat I weigh in at 160# position was 39.7 % of a 68 inch MAC this is using the ailerons as part of the MAC. The wing plus the flaperons .Using the formula in the book Flight testing Home Built Aircraft. the point loads were taken with me on board.

My coworker tried calculating the point by a vector analysis. that didn't. verify but, a actually lifting the plane with the fork truck with me on board put it exactly where the calculation said it was. About 7 inches to the rear. of the 30% point
    I have reconfigured the hang cage to accommodate an a adjustment . of about 6 inches to the rear wing and engine while lengthening the moment of pilot and hull and shortening the moment of the tail. This should be enough to bring it back into spec. I have had to argue this move already please don't
    Those who don't see why its the best option. Here is why. I can move three of the 4 major inputs to the balance but that's the best I can do.My people couldn't see that they just think move the pilot but why that's only one of 4 and requires greater distance and much rework. The wing and engine are in a typical pusher moment arraignment. The new tail and the fact that I moved the hang cage forward last fall are the real reasons for the falling out of spec. Pivoting the hang cage to remove the steep angle of attack resulted in the 6 inch wing forward
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 05-08-2012 at 07:35 PM.

CG corrected
    Moving the hang cage . Has done the trick. All with no significant weight change.The Cg is corrected to 30% MAC for a 160# pilot and 25% MAC for a 200# pilot. calculations have been done for a MAC of 68 inches. I plan on adding my canopy it will help with 4# forward or I may have to eat more. My ruder pedals are a bit cheesy I have something much better on my computer I made . They would add about 2# far forward.
    I am contemplating taking the plane to the lake tomorrow afternoon. It depends on getting some final things done and the weather . Since its Mothers day. That may also interfere and postpone til next week end ,weather permitting.
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 05-12-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Hey Norm, this is a really handy site for calculating your static margin of safety

http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/cg_super_calc.htm

Name:  new tail finished plane 030.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  95.0 KB Saturday morning back on the lake taxi tests. Unfortunately my camera operator couldn't figure the camera was on stills and not in video mode. This is one of the best shots.
    All I can give you is a report for today. The plane did well the sponsons dint give any adversity but they didnt help where I need it . This is due to the recent balance changes moving the wing back with the engine put much more weight on the sponsons than they can support in static mode without a pilot they do nothing for me and it takes two people to launch and extract. On the water they behave reasonably no spray into the prop, they come up on plane and out of the water near the lift of speed. I have a lot of practicing to do . For me its a bit tense at higher speeds the little breeze was very adverse. Left ruder is very responsive while right ruder is mushy and becomes more effective with full ruder . The stabilator is also very effective ,I didn't put much atention there to day, since all I was interested in was ruder control. I did notice when I pulled back on the stick I had a rush of speed and the plane gained rapidly I did only three fast taxi runs and noticed the more sensitive ruder and the uncertainty of the trim I should have there left being better than right. Also I topped one run off at 23mph but didn't dare to hold very long I need more time on the stick first. I felt the great change it wasn't far from going into ground effect.
    I must be patient.

Regards all

Sounds great! Be careful, and keep us advised. -Zach

The rubber guy

During the last 6 months or so, those of us in the Shelton Washington area have sighted what is obviously the top part of a weight shift trike attached to a Zodiac inflatible boat. It looks like it flies well. Nobody Ive talked to seems to knows who this is or where it lands, (lots of hidey holes around here). Colapsable seaplane? food for thought!

Quote Originally Posted by patrickbrockhaus View Post
    During the last 6 months or so, those of us in the Shelton Washington area have sighted what is obviously the top part of a weight shift trike attached to a Zodiac inflatible boat...
    It's called a Flying Inflatable Boat, and there are quite a few of them around.

Polaris FIB

Most likely it is a Polaris FIB (Flying Inflatable Boat). These were manufactured in Italy over the past 30 years or more and have been successfully sold worldwide. There were a few companies that copied the design but were not as successful as considerable development work was required to get the right combination into a practical machine that would work.

Doy, the developer and US supporter, died about 4 to 5 years ago but his son still manufacturers them, I believe. In the US market they are a casualty of the Light Sport legislation. There is not a SLSA version and it cannot be registered as a homebuilt experimental.

I believe there a still a few places to get a somewhat simlar craft or there are resale units available.

North Wing out of Wenatchee makes wings for trikes on floats and they may have a FIB model as they have had a few water projects.

There are two WSC Sea pilots in the Gig Harbor area and I believe they both fly from a smaller harbor directly west of town on the opposite shore of the peninsula. The harbor opens to the north and has a small island a mile or so further to the north. I do not recall the name of the harbor nor do I have convenient access to a map.

Dave Sherifinski is one of the pilots.

Most of the Polaris FIB are boat only but there is a conversion to wheels and an amphibious version. Contact me if you want more information.

Watch for the SEA ERA operating in the area out of Lake Samamish. It is a lifting body flying boat with more or less conventional configuration otherwise. It is a really cool, one off, singe seat ELSA of foam and composite construction powered by the 80 hp Jabiru. It will hopefully be making the trip to Mason Lake several times this summer and has been on display at the Arlington Airshow for the last 2 years.

If there is more interest in either of these projects, please start a new thread with comments or questions.
    Last edited by jedi; 05-25-2012 at 09:37 AM.