Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Norm's Flying Boat UL Flight Test Progress

Norm, Haven't been on the forum in a long time. Life gets in the way at times.
    In the videos I noted a lot of spray coming from the prop/engine area. The sound of the engine changed during those spray moments. Is the prop picking up water? It will cause some problems with prop tip erosion.
    I give you great credit for keeping going on this project.

Jim there are three video's .The first run was the worst and the prop was being hit with spray produced by the rear float system. In each test something was changing the middle test the sponson system was turned around and did produce less spray. In the last runs the arch support was failing from over the road damage.As a result One sponson was dragging more than the other.It did produce some spray .The control problems are what made the tests stop and the V-tail is being changed out .

A couple of pictures of the new tail configuration
    I just finished rigging the controls so now its time to detail things and get to covering
    A look down the air frame gives some Idea of the prop wash over the new tail the center of the prop is about 10 inches above the top of the frame. Ignore the object in the wing mount area its the pivot jack for the wing. looking only down the outer tube you will get the alignment described.
    In the old archives there was notations about wet tail the V-tail was so low it was in the water when no pilots weight was applied.Causing many undesirables. This tail will be dry even if the boom rests low, That will quickly drain away when pilot is aboard. This new tail features a stabilator and it is cantilevered.Also its in the negative lift configuration, being an none symmetrical airfoil. It is however easily reversed if necessary. I am expecting much better control this time.
    Name:  new rib style 011.jpg
Views: 1812
Size:  96.5 KBName:  new rib style 009.jpg
Views: 1717
Size:  96.5 KB
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 03-03-2012 at 05:06 PM.

I like the idea of the new tail much better than the old V design. This one is up and in the prop wash, which should help immensely with low speed control. In looking at some of your old videos, I was also concerned about the (previous) low tail airflow getting blanked by the wings in a stall. That would make it more difficult to recover from a stall. This design should be better in that instance, also.

I can't say for sure that any of this will actually work, since I have only looked at the pictures you provided here, and I am not an aeronautical engineer. My thoughts are only observations from comparing your design to common airplane designs. Cessna and Piper put a lot of testing and engineering in their designs, so just by observing you can get the benefit of someone else's work.

Finished pictures with the new tail

Winter is over and I am on track for spring trials .I am expecting first or second week end in May.First runs are just straight taxi runs working on and gathering facts . dont be expecting to see it fly for a while .I will post the results and videos as they evolve.Name:  new tail finished plane 001.jpg
Views: 1303
Size:  97.5 KBName:  new tail finished plane 004.jpg
Views: 2387
Size:  96.2 KBName:  new tail finished plane 002.jpg
Views: 1890
Size:  97.2 KBName:  new tail finished plane 003.jpg
Views: 1559
Size:  98.1 KBName:  new tail finished plane 006.jpg
Views: 1614
Size:  97.0 KB

Looking good Norm! Keep us posted. My project is slow getting started again this spring; just about to pay the house off, and had lightening strike the house -caused quite a bit of damage. That's put the plane on the back burner for a couple months It's encouraging to see others still moving forward! -Zach

Norm,

Do you think you have the clearance on the sponsons to rotate for take offf? Please let me respond before you do any attempt at high speed taxi, rotation or lift off. This could be a clasic case of an airplane that is difficult to rotate but once rotated it jumps off the ground/water climbs steeply and stalls at about 30 to 50 feet. Several have done that with fatal results. Mark Staul for the latest well known example. The airplane will fly at a slower speed than you will imagine once rotated.

Yes Jedi I do think there is enough for rotation.I will take another photo of the front view and try to show the elevations. If you can zoom in on the frontal shot and note that the side shot show a bit of an angle of attack on the hull bottom.I think now with the wing at a 6 to 8 degree angle for rotation there should be no contact from the ruder portion of the sponson. A higher angle of rotation may spike in about 3 inches or so. Do you see that as being enough resistance to create issues.
    I have no intent to try flying yet, only straight taxi. The sponsons do not sport finish paint because they may need adjustment.

Looking again. I see some potential contact. It all depend how deep the hull sets at rotation. the tunnel hull effect developed by the chine flare . Is something I have not been able to verify. from any of my previous video . Here is a new side shot, It still can not be seen how far down the hulls V is only the chine.Name:  new tail finished plane 010.jpg
Views: 1523
Size:  98.2 KB

You really don't want to rotate for takeoff anyway. Let the aircraft build speed on the water and it should fly itself off.
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction