Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Norm's Flying Boat UL Flight Test Progress

A short video of the hydraulic lift in action When I referred to the redo of the rear floats again it will be do reduce weight further and to add wheels for to make it amphibious to do away with this transfer system and become direct launch or dry launch. I do not think it will be full amphibious mostly a ground handling and direct to hanger no cart.

This is not a good report. I crashed the plane yesterday. This was like a ground loop . Diving the plane in the nose folded up crushing me in the sandwich. I am sore and bruised,but fine. I have vowed not to fly anymore. I feel this is pilot error and was avoidable .I'm not using good sense. I simply should not fly anymore I'm not ahead of the plane, and the conditions.There was a 5 mph east wind.
    The best part is I am mostly unhurt. I am unsure what to do with this project from here forward. The air frame is undamaged only the new forward hull and the rudder pedal support suffered .

To say that the new hull performed well is mute now . It was very fast and maneuverable on step/plane I had flown it a short distance . On a second run in an unfavorable cross wind direction shortly after lift off it rolled suddenly and dove in.

This project needs a new owner !
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 09-10-2018 at 02:42 PM.

The damage is more to how I feel about flying not so much to the plane. Name:  20180913_092907.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  98.8 KBName:  20180913_092920.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  90.8 KB the hull folded up onto me and compressed me into the seat. I would not expect the hull to resist breaking like it did entering the water at 45 degrees at 30 mph . I think not to bad over all no other damage except the rudder pedals and me.
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 09-14-2018 at 08:40 AM.

Sorry to hear the bad news and I'm glad you are ok. In the home built aircraft community we are not only builders, but often test pilots also. When I was in the 8th grade I designed a couple of aircraft, well, designed is an over statement. I drew pictures of planes that weren't on the market so to speak. Many years later, with the introduction of Light Sport Aircraft, I saw similar designs as the ones I drew as a kid. Of course I knew nothing about structural design, or aerodynamics and they were only ideas I had of a flying machine. That being said, when I did start to build, I decided to pick what was already proven because there are so many great designs already out there. I didn't want to "re-invent the wheel". But I salute your efforts, after all, there wouldn't be so many different designs if people didn't put their own spin on something. I'll be 72 in a couple of weeks so I'd rather fly than build, although, I do enjoy the building process. Now if I had a flying airplane, I could still build and not be stressed out about getting it done anytime soon. LOL ! I hope you have much success in what ever you choose to do.
    Bob

Glad you survived the incident - perhaps after a bit of time passage and reflection there will be factory made options that could spur your interest in resuming training and flight. I guess I subscribe to the whole "getting back on the horse that threw ya' " mentality. Learning to scuba dive once purt near drowned me but I persevered. After my other-driver caused motorcycle crash I rode the repaired bike back to the exact same spot once my broken leg healed.

Or maybe I'm just goofy - lol - but in a few months I'll be 70 and I simply refuse to let life scare me out of living it.

Hi all !!
    I have been wondering if I should post my archive of building photos for the folks here in this forum. There was once an extensive amount of discussion of the build . It was lost when the Oshkosh 365 was deleted.
    I began a thread in another forum .If the members here want a parallel I can duplicate that. I know many members here frequent that forum as well,but maybe not all. So speak up if a link is not enough. You will find all the photo log in building from scratch a dream . https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/f...oat-flying.39/
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 03-31-2019 at 01:18 PM.

Norm I followed it with great interest - I think a photo log is a great resource

I have been pondering ,what to do about the plane and all the development of the structural technique. I plan to repair the plane when I return to NH. After that I need a pilot. ANY TAKERS OUT THERE.

With that said if there is . How about building another plane better than that one lighter stronger and cantilevered .

The things I have learned to do with the forming and mono spar. I believe I know how to do it with a removable 14 ft 1/2 span wing cradled for transit rather than the pivotal wing. A 28 to 32 ft wing span. weighing only 35 to 40 lbs per span.
    This also means I can make any type low mid or high wing design, land, amphibian or sea only may be possible.

I have a new spar smaller = lighter stronger because it has special top diaphragm, all being the same thickness. [ the flying boat has a thin bottom diaphragm of .030 with many small holes ]
    With this new spar installed wide side up it will be cantilevered.
    Using it with the DAE 31 airfoil it will also have a much better L/D ratio than the USA 35 mod . Used on Norms flying boat.
    I have gotten to like building more than flying. The crash has changed me. I'm sure it was my fault.

Norm,

Summer is about half over. Can you give us an update. You know where to find a pilot when you need one.

I did not invest any time toward the plane, this summer. It remains as the picture. I removed the engine last week and put it on a shelf. The plane will go in a storage . But not well covered . Next year maybe. I need someone with desire and interest to partner up with . Most likely I will offer the engine for sale and scrap the plane.

I had a dream to fly. I had no money to do that on the general aviation path. So I took the only option for me. I was to use my own skills and slowly over years of time design and build with lots of advisory help.
    I have more ideas but no enthusiasm , everyone wants engineered guaranties . I can not provide, I have no will to argue .
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 07-30-2019 at 05:21 PM.