Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Norm's Flying Boat UL Flight Test Progress

Almost time to go north.
    I have been looking at my other posts. I have another blog and not all viewers see everything since they are not equal. Here is a short landing video. I have been studying the angles, assuming we all see the same static image before you activate the video. The angles at touchdown. Landing and take off are the same planing attitude, power off landing power max take off with applied elevator.In previous posts and discussions . The forward hull angles were seen to be hindrance, the hull bump now removed.
    Does anyone see anything wrong withe these lines and angles ?

Seems an awful lot of wing incidence when the hull is level. How does it look in level flight (cruise)?

Edit, I see in the other video it doesn't look that bad, but it sure sits way back in the water. Perhaps some more flotation aft would help? But it seems to do OK on the water.
    Last edited by Dana; 04-08-2018 at 03:53 PM.

Thank you Dana
    The static view angles are extreme . The above new float work is intended to reduce some of that. In the landing still view. I think the hull is level that is the main portion. I had thought the bow angle to be extreme ,now I think maybe not. I have no level flight to show. That which I have predates the as is. In the static the wing incidence is nearly 18 degrees. That does concern me , when wind conditions are unfavorable. When the plane is on step that actual angle is unknown. I assume it would be same as the landing. Excess power forces the nose down ,that makes some difference . Now that I have the elevator authority, that is not a problem. In level flight maybe 8 and 10 degrees to take off. I have made comments that what feels like level flight is difficult at full power it climbs. This wing has a negative 5 degree stall. A chart I was looking at stated that, and no stall all the way to 18 degree.
    My early tests with the V-tail had a very high attack angle . It was difficult to control . The present does not .

I asked that if anyone see something wrong speak up and make a comment . Because I do plan to make an all new main hull. The angles appear to be correct. I wish only to change how the hull interacts with water during the transition to on step. this hull creates a significant bow wave . That I feel could be improved. It works it does not need to be changed but this hull needs to be replaced from hack and mod and water weight gain.
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 04-09-2018 at 09:00 AM.

The angle looks correct to me.
    Might need a longer hull to get more buoyancy and lift over the bow wave. Or more tail authority if you can't get the nose up (Bigger tail)

Bill
    Sorry if I was not clear there is plenty of elevator authority now. Flying it of the water is easy and on demand.
    The angle is variable as photgraphed in any past photography do to the power applied and then insufficient elevator travel at that time. That was do to insufficient travel in the control for up elevator.
    A lengthening of the flat portion going forward may be applied.

Norm,

When do you plan to start construction on the new hull?

I would like to have a discussion beforehand.

As soon as I am back in NH. I will finish up those new rear floats. Hope to make test flights with them early May. Considering the time line for Oshkosh 2018. Work on a new hull will need to begin soon or I will have to skip it till after. Jedi are you going to Sun n Fun?
    I will be there with Amos April 12 & 13 . Now that I am in Fl for the winters I can go there easier than Oshkosh. Its a little over an hours drive from Brooksville.
    Jedi shoot me an e-mail .I don't have your info on this PC . I have a cell Number but do not know if its a good one. I have time on my hands with little to do for a few weeks yet.
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 04-10-2018 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Langlois View Post
    As soon as I am back in NH. I will finish up those new rear floats. Hope to make test flights with them early May. Considering the time line for Oshkosh 2018. Work on a new hull will need to begin soon or I will have to skip it till after. Jedi are you going to Sun n Fun?
    I will be there with Amos April 12 & 13 . Now that I am in Fl for the winters I can go there easier than Oshkosh. Its a little over an hours drive from Brooksville.
    Jedi shoot me an e-mail .I don't have your info on this PC . I have a cell Number but do not know if its a good one. I have time on my hands with little to do for a few weeks yet.
    check your personal messages.

I have created a photo stream on i cloud.

I have added comments to help explain . The photo stream is not a time line its scrambled dragging your courser over an image brings out the comment to view if there is one. Videos are at the end

E-mail pjlucky282@gmail.com

or try this link https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0kJtdOXm8VwHDv
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 04-17-2018 at 12:53 PM. Reason: some statments are not correct

New floats applied I hope the differences are all positive. The others originally tapered going aft then needed the upper 2 inch deck to have enough displacement to be stable. They became heavy,15#. These have more displacement and weigh less than 8# with the support frame , bare no fiberglass Name:  20180506_170425_resized.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  93.8 KBName:  rear view.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  87.8 KB
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 05-06-2018 at 04:24 PM.