Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Norm's Flying Boat UL Flight Test Progress

Banned
    Choppergirl, that's who

You create your dream because you want your dream. Not for any other reason. So don't let any other reason stop you. How few people were building ultralights when Santos Dumont built his Demoiselle? How few saw any future in it at all?

Don't die with your music still in you...

Repeat after me: the roaring 80's Golden Age of Ultralights was probably pretty great. But I can singlehandedly make today even better. We have the technology, we can rebuild her. I *am* the Golden Age of Ultralights! Say it with me! I *am* the Golden Age of Ultralights!

I'll probably die myself before finishing my plane, from serious health problems. I want to fly under my own power before that happens. In a battle where I know I am ultimately going to lose the war, that is my win scenario. Therefore, I'm going down fighting to the end; it's the warrior way. Ad finem! To the end. Morituri te salutant!

My family also doesn't believe I can do it. I know my family thinks I'm crazy. But I keep getting all the major parts I need, one by one by one... and every time I scavenge a new piece, I show them, and still they roll their eyes at me. It's just par for the course.

So grab my hand and I'll lift you back in the boat, old man. Quitting ain't our style. We're the hardcore dreamers, warriors, fabricators, loners, mad scientists, and hopefully... pilots. The hardest road is the best road. Your welcome in my motley rag tag cheap skate Flying Circus any old time.
    Last edited by choppergirl; 07-25-2017 at 03:38 AM.

First Ty for that !

I have since taken the plane up again. The flight went well take offs are as before getting up on plane is the biggest time factor. The stick inputs to lift the nose then let it go forward takes a bit of practice if one want to break time records.
    During the last outing I had a still shot of the plane floating static. I never showed one of these . Some in the past asked if I had one. here that is.Name:  static img.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  92.1 KB

the still shot and videos were 6:45 PM very calm the wind direction UN-detectable .these are the latest video

I have said the hull will need to be replaced . That is because water weight from cracks and weight gain of the hack and chop from reworking the bottom. I am not liking the sharp incline of the forward portion that creates the cockpit it still presents some drag from the hump that was mostly removed but not all. I would also make it more flat bottomed in this forward area. Moving toward a planning hull and away from a cutting hull
    The plane works fairly well and one may say leave well enough alone. Does anyone see any positive in the present shape, to leave it as is

The up turned bow looks a bit odd but shouldn't effect performance. It sets very high in the water.
    The aft mounted sponsons might drag in the water and limit takeoff rotation.

I have had many comment about those rear floats and the probability they would inhibit rotation. They do not when the correct wing incidence is used with the hull at plane.
    My most recent flights and there were about 6 take offs only 2 videos were even visible. The posted video in the 10th thread speaks the truth. Every take off can be done in about 8 seconds with or without any head wind help. The above video clip was from the boat launch first take off . You can not tell much from it but, trying to beat the clock I discovered I was taking off to short with no head wind and the plane drops some even in ground effect. No more games.Please accept my word the plane flies, and does so without any adverse actions from the rear floats.The required rotation is so slight, none is actually required if you want to wait the plane flies off the water in about 12 seconds when the air speed is sufficient. The coupling between water and air speed is broken down slowly! with all the minor hull deficiencies , but eventual it is riding on such a small area at the stern, it just flies off as I always surmised possible. Shape off all the components even the angle on the rear floats reduce the time from static to on plane. After that if one was to count from on plane to inflight you would see its about 3 seconds. If I have any improving to do it will be cutting the firsts 5 seconds down.
    My question was in reference to the changing incidence from static to plane . Maybe I should not have asked .I messed the whole plane up and delayed all by 3 years when I made those other unnecessary changes. I am afraid it will pitch forward if I make the forward hull flatter. the present shape could be needed . The little down curve at the stern certainly was.
    Thank you all for any and all comments.

Norm I thought the takeoff looked good - and love the static side shot! Congrats again

Looks to be working fine. If you do decide to make a new hull/fuselage the tailboom could be a bit larger for increased torsional stiffness.

Bill you have asked me in another thread to bring the plane to OSH 18 . Im not much of a speaker but yes I would do a forum on the plane at OSH
    That is a year away and I am spending the winter in FL. Back in NH in late April I expect. Planning a forum can be done. I have not q clue how to do that. I would need help.
    I would like anyone to add what they want to see and hear projected at such a forum 8 years building lots of pictures of failures and redone.

Norm, sounds good.
    I am building a self-designed ultralight now. My plan is to bring it to Oshkosh either finished or not. Unfinished is just as good I think.
    Perhaps we could do a forum together? "Designing your own ultralight" or something.
    The forum request deadline is made in the middle of May 2018, so plenty of time.