Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Norm's Flying Boat UL Flight Test Progress

There would be just one problem with what you propose. To heavy to stay Ultralight class. It is that simple I have never had an interest in building LSA class. I will persevere in the UL. I have been there with this plane I am going backwards now to the best configuration I had and then I will re-manufacture the the hull and rear floats. I can take some of the advise into a new hull but it will have to stay the same area and still use rear floats in the tricycle config producing lateral stability at the same time.

The rear floats Are not the problem and never have been. Viewer and reader perception will be modified soon. One more test !
    Please read my post 86 most important to my evident view point.
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 04-02-2017 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Langlois View Post
    There would be just one problem with what you propose. To heavy to stay Ultralight class. It is that simple I have never had an interest in building LSA class. I will persevere in the UL. I have been there with this plane I am going backwards now to the best configuration I had and then I will re-manufacture the the hull and rear floats. I can take some of the advise into a new hull but it will have to stay the same area and still use rear floats in the tricycle config producing lateral stability at the same time.

The rear floats Are not the problem and never have been. Viewer and reader perception will be modified soon. One more test !
    Please read my post 86 most important to my evident view point.
    I agree about staying in the UL Class.

Paul's flat surface and double step do not need to add weight, perhaps. You might like to see his latest designs. Let me know if you are interested in more discussions.

Updates?

What's the latest on the flying boat?

I have been away since April 25 through May 17th. Since my return I have taken the plane out of mothballs and fire her up . Made repairs to the transport. All I am waiting for is the day to be flyable and the time to do so. I expect this week end may provide one. As in the previous posts. I expect to prove I have optimized the configuration.

Thanks

Norm we are all pulling for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Langlois View Post
    I have been away since April 25 through May 17th. Since my return I have taken the plane out of mothballs and fire her up . Made repairs to the transport. All I am waiting for is the day to be flyable and the time to do so. I expect this week end may provide one. As in the previous posts. I expect to prove I have optimized the configuration.

I have achieved my goal. Though this mornings test is a bit tainted by wind conditions the area used was not effected. I have achieved the 6+ second flat water take off without an official stop watch and a better standard it is approximate. I am pleased regardless it means I can not get trapped in a place with no wind. She flies on command when up elevator applied

The video a bit shaky but still good. I had waited for total calm conditions. they were predicted but not to be the air was ruff and conditions rapidly deteriorated I landed and before I even left it was UN-flyable wind conditions

Awesome Norm!! That really looked too easy after all the challenges!

Quote Originally Posted by Capndar View Post
    Awesome Norm!! That really looked too easy after all the challenges!
    That looked like a great takeoff. Good job.

Your patience and perservence is rewarding. Continue to Be carefull of conditions until you get more current practice.

I did take the plane back for another test flight and more video on a much calmer day. Unfortunately the video did not come out. The results were as good as the above video so its not a fluke of wind conditions that were present during that video.The winds were aloft and not on the water. I have made permanent changes to the hang cage that fix the attack angle eliminating the spacer. During the last flight I experienced FLUTTER while descending. I believe over speed from a power on decent. causing the tail to oscillate. I have added cable tail brace. I will get some video of the next tests.

At this point I would like to draw some conclusion . Over the long process of the development of the plane ,many suggestions were made. All have real base for the opinions of those contributing . I now ask you to open your minds to what I have put forth. a true Ultra light is not general aviation applicable. Other conditions need to be assessed. the low speed required of a UL means less need for the optimized coefficient hull designs and all that has become considered necessary of heavy general aviation. Now based on my hull I can optimize it and achieve a max take off of maybe 2 seconds less with all the smoothing and sharpening of hull contour. But what for I ask I have proven all that unnecessary. An Ultra light does not have to be efficient it needs only to fly well and be safe. I tried hard to make a sturdy airplane and use good construction technique. And after all this Ultra lights have no future. I believe soon private aviation will be a thing of the past and only for a few wealthier individuals that have time and money. The economy says so even more than I . The cost of living put the big boy toys on the back burner for ever. If we let the Ultralight option slip away we all loose. I had hoped to make a difference .I was born to late. I expect I will keep tinkering a bit but it will be all for not. I now wounder what even to do with the plane soon I may be unable to fly the years are taking a toll . Don't be surprised if I offer it all up for sale. Who would want to invest in a dead market.
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 07-21-2017 at 12:05 PM.