Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Norm's Flying Boat UL Flight Test Progress

Question Norm's Flying Boat UL Flight Test Progress

Norman,

Do you have any reports on taxi testing progress?

Grant
    Last week the first trip to the lake was fruitless at the last start up before taxing out on the lake the pull starter rope stayed pulled all the way out and had to shut down and go home

Today Sat at the lake 5:00am trying to beet the boaters to the launch. We had better luck. The first taxi took place with mixed results.
    There is a steering system that didn't work at all (water ruder). After locking it out.the air ruder provided enough control to taxi. low speed taxi was fine . the plane moves through the water level and with minimal correction.
    Adding throttle it bow planes,not to severe. I didn't take a lot of notes this time so I don't have the fine details.Somewhere near half throttle it quickly gets up on hull plane and builds speed, but here The problems begin . there are control problems that turn the plan resulting in sponsons dipping and and throwing water into the prop. I limited my test to taking the video and took the plane home to ponder the resolve.
    It may be a while before I attempt more testing but should be this flying season.

The control problem has been found .After talking with Grant I went to inspect my prop for water strike damage and looked again at my cable mapping.After all this time its been reversed.I was stepping on my right ruder thinking I was just not getting a response I was it was left turn . I will make the changes and return to the lake next weekend.(weather permitting)
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 08-07-2011 at 07:51 AM. Reason: control problem noted

A photo bucket video of the water taxi test run.

video deleted addware the video early design V tail never flew

After thinking about the upload of the video I tried it works pretty good . the explanation above and this video tells the story.
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 02-24-2018 at 05:21 PM.

Note the edited first reply please

Starting my first reply with bad info . please all take note of that I edited and applied the reason for the control problem.

The sponsons are a problem as well and the arch and style of the rear floats will be redone soon.Taxi testing will resume with a flip side reversing of the sponsons putting them tail first will make some difference in there behavior and may allow me to skim and make hops.

I have little to add, but moral support, but if you need an extra pair of hands, I'd love to see the project. I live in Portsmouth, and have Family in Northwood (near Bow Lake and the Strafford line). Are you doing your taxi tests on Northwood Lake? Harvey? Bow?
    Last edited by WBNH; 08-08-2011 at 02:00 PM.

WBNH
    I will extend my hand and welcome any help.It has been difficult arranging to have a safety for the days I can fly.My son was operating the boat,and shot the video.
    I had the last week of July off and couldn't get a day on the water with anyone. Help is scarce to say the least. people work and on the week end the launch is busy with other boaters.If you would like to attend I expect to do more testing Saturday first light to avoid the boater traffic. wind and weather permitting I test only in the morning.
    The lake is Northwood lake. The launch is across the street from True Value Hardware . My #603 -942-6213
    I would like to add this is only the beginning .
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 08-08-2011 at 04:25 PM.

I sincerely hope your test program moves along perfectly. I'll miss Saturday, however, as a lot of family is gathering at my place for B-fast and to avoid the traffic congestion and carpooling to the airshow at Pease. Front row, box 12. After B-fast, gates open at 8...I'll be there at 7:30 waiting...

...Thunderbirds just arrived...saw one over the area a half hour ago...just flying in circles. Drumming up business?

2nd taxi test Saturday 8-11-11 the video shows still having no control after hull plane and medium speeds [less than flying speed]
    video deleted add ware

I am thinking its all due to a high angle of attack resulting in pushing the bow down and making it squirrel y and appearing as adverse yaw. Boats do not behave any better with there bow over loaded (down)
    I will make the change and try again half what it is. presently at 10 degrees incidence to the hull.
    Anyone wish to make a suggestion on this? I am listening.
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 02-24-2018 at 05:17 PM.

The third taxi test Sunday 8-21-11
    there are still multiple problems . the major difference is the angle of incidence to the hull plane.This is much improved .now a 6 degrees I will make this a permanent change . This video shows a lot of turning and most of it was uncontrolled. only at low throttle and large turn radius was it at my will.
    One major adverse effect was the rotation around the vertical axis. not having enough ruder influence to counter this .The plane would flat spin or slip around being effected greatly by engine throttle more throttle more right spin.
    I tried using the aileron to counter and this did have some effect right roll resulted in left turn slight as it was the down aileron acting as a brake. This proved dangerous because it produced an adverse roll to the turn. A tricycle tip over.
    The video does not show anything that you can determine what kind of control I was applying. During the tight turns almost always trying to counter . None of these were intended.
    When the plane was being put back in the hanger the sponson arch broke through . Until the rework is finished there will obviously be no more test runs
    Here is the new video link .My son made one long video it a long one.
    In -spite I was having intense fun !!!

Expand it to full screen if you can.
    I made an error stating longitudinal axis for the slip turn. it is the vertical axis. If anyone still understood what I was trying to say about the behavior OK , I just felt this needed to be corrected.
    video deleted addware
    the videos early design V tail never flew
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 02-24-2018 at 05:20 PM. Reason: error in statement

Norman,

Could you please post a photo of your current configuration? It is a bit hard to see from the video. It would be easier for people to evaluate it here, rather than having to try to find it on the old message board.