Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Norm's Flying Boat UL Flight Test Progress

Hello all June is still away some . I am looking for help to gather and refine data relative to my aircraft. Much of data needs more than one pair of hands to obtain. Since I live in Northwood NH. obviously,That needs to be someone local. It does not have to be a person or persons that are engineers . only interested enough to volunteer .Pilots or wannabe pilots a plus. If a pilot that would fly as well there is a weight limit that being 180# stretching to 200#. The plane went through enough changes and still has UN-gathered flight data . Myself being a new pilot I still have just started to lighten up on the grip of the stick . That leaves the wandering eye also very straight ahead.
    This 8 year project will end with this plane never going to kit, without further attention.

Norm,

Can you be more specific as to what kind of help you need.

If it is simple stuff you might check with the local high school and see if there are students interested in learning about airplanes. Also check the boys clubs and local airports for wantabees.

the simple things are just measurements the things it takes a third hand or eyes. weights and balances etc. the more complicated would be flight data. Where I once had family close by now I don't
    Sadly my wife does not assist without argument, friends are few and have other agenda. Its just a jumble of things . where I have no one around me that has flying at interest. To document the plane and work out a kit plan would be a whole lot more fun with a partner than alone but of course that is all speculation and a partner would take someone dedicated to the cause. I found very little real interest when I socialized they all have there own agenda and family life, they now focus toward GA and L.S.A. I am alone in this and I feel my age wearing me down. I still have the dream but losing the stamina. I am close .I know my plane is maybe the best structural and a fine and easy to fly .As well I think none can beat for take off and landing ease.After all I am a beginner Its a piece of cake to fly and land for me. It should have a future and not die as a one of a kind plane.So I need that person or persons that would take an interest in ULTRALIGHT planes and the goal to keep the category alive and with the very best planes possible. I am sure I have the right build technique.

Hello all its been a while I flew one test last year I had promised to stay grounded while I built our new home. I had made a change it was all bad. barley got out of the water. The house finished I am undoing the bad . I raised the rear floats 2 inches today that will give me more rotation next I will add back the part I cut away replacing an enhancing. What I believe was making the whole concept work. I had thought the concave keel line to the stern was adding drag . It seems it was actually creating lift helping to get up on plane quickly.
    So yes I am still around and all is well with me . Not with my house hold the wife is terminally I'll with cancer.That will determine If I get to fly a new test. I will post new pictures after I add things back on. Staying busy helps with getting through this bad times.
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 08-08-2015 at 03:53 PM.

Name:  IMG_0164.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  92.6 KB This is the before it worked reasonable after I cut it away to a flattened bottom as indicted buy the lines I barley got airborne Name:  IMG_0366.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  94.4 KB This compound addition I hope will provide more lift than drag getting up on plane quickly with the addition of the now raised rear float up by 2 inchesName:  IMG_0372.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  95.6 KB Some times to much change does no good at all I hope this works out this time Unfortunately I may no get to test this year.

Yep I am still at it. Sorry no updates for a few years . I lost my wife to cancer and flying was very limited. only two tests in 2016 the raising of the floats was a bad idea.I lost control of the static and low speed water control resulting in a damaged aircraft. after the repairs and replacing the floats where they where. I got one more shot before cold weather.It now waits for the new flying season.that last test proved what I concluded with that down curve in the hull and the add on works remarkably well. The plane gets up on step almost instantly, but still denies me quick takeoff. I have gone over my history looking for evidence of the most significant changes I made for the worst. I now draw from that and may change back to the original 3 inch spacer that did so well. Since I have made for more elevator travel giving me more up without compromising the down. The spacer will wait for the conclusion of elevator authority

Norm. Very sorry to hear of the loss of your wife. You have my condolences and best wishes. Of I lived closer I would love to lend a hand on your project but Virginia would be a long commute. Good luck.

Your hull.

Norm. As has been said - Sorry to hear of the loss of your wife. You have my sincere condolences. I have been lurking for some time. I applaud you and your diligent approach to making this a success.While I am a pilot, I am not an ultralight expert. As a sailboat racer, however, I would never expect to be competitive with the 'rough' surface of your hull, as seen in the photo above. I would expect all of the hull to be as 'slick' as the white appendage appears to be.In racing I sand hulls and keels to 800 or 1000 grit - I believe the hull is consuming a lot of energy.Please know there are lots of us out here pulling for your success.

Ty I am aware of the need to smooth it out. The surface most likely adds enough drag to create take off problem. Even though it is at low speed, that drag coupled with the arm of thrust is counter productive to elevator authority. I will be building new hull and floats. I will try to do that. Thick layup of resin to accommodate. May not give me that option this is a thin skinned solid foam structure.Being an Ultra light, weight of resin is avoided. I have also suffered structural damage to this thin skin and water infiltration, has added weight. I have a new as built image to share with all of you. I have forgotten to draw in the flapperon. Name:  IMG_20170320_0001.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  11.4 KB
    Last edited by Norman Langlois; 03-23-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Langlois View Post
    ....... I have a new as built image to share with all of you. I have forgotten to draw in the flapperon. Name:  IMG_20170320_0001.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  11.4 KB
    Norm,

I think you would do well to use technology developed by Paul Weston for his Sea Era Light Sport seaplane hull. Use dual step hull with flat (not curved) surfaces in the water. Also replace the outriggers with a lifting body hull that has a large lifting area to get hull on plane at a low speed. Your wing and wing structure is great but hydro appears to suck. Pun intended. IMHO

Grant