Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thread for those of us NOT at AirVenture

Thread for those of us NOT at AirVenture

Not being there is killing me; I think I'd rather give up Christmas than miss Oshkosh.

I took the Mooney up for a quick half-hour flight this morning, drove several dozen laps around the airport looking for people to converse with, went back to the hangar and stared at my airplane for a bit, went to the terminal computer and checked Twitter and other EAA news feeds, went back and painted guide stripes in front of my hangar door, stared at the airplane a bit longer, pondered whether I should push it out in the grash and pitch a tent beside it, drove a few more laps around the airport.... you get the idea. This is really hurting!

So, what types of things is everyone else doing to pass the time this week?
    Surely, I'm not the only one who didn't make the trek.

Ok, if you can't be here , then I'll give you about the only bad news I can find here. Yesterday it was blazing hot, 102* and that is official not just heat index.

It rained this morning and is much better today ,perhaps in the high 80s. It is a beautiful evening tonight.

Ok, if you can't be here , then I'll give you about the only bad news I can find here. Yesterday it was blazing hot, 102* and that is official not just heat index.<BR><BR>It rained this morning and is much better today ,perhaps in the high 80s. It is a beautiful evenig tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goggles View Post
    So, what types of things is everyone else doing to pass the time this week?
    Surely, I'm not the only one who didn't make the trek.
    Passing time by spending the week in Myrtle Beach, SC. Hot as blazes here too but it's easy to cool off in the Atlantic Ocean. Made a choice to skip OSH/AV this year and not regretting it.

My handyman helper and I went out to the airport and washed and waxed my plane today. It was really needing it. I had planned to fly afterward but it was so hot and I was so tired that I decided to wait. It is killing me missing Oshkosh too. I decided not to go this year so I could put the money I would have spent there into my plane. I'm hoping to pull the gas tanks next month and send them off to be refurbished. Anybody have a PIREP about Woodstock Aviation and their Piper tank overhauls? It would have been difficult to get away from work right now anyway. I have been lloking at the AirVenture webcams a lot wishing I was there. Hopefully next year....

I am with you... Killing me to get updates about it... knowing I am missing out on both seeing many customers and just all the noise and chaos!!! oh well, dream about next year and hope something to get in the way!

Same here. Missing it like crazy, particularly since I was set to go about 8 days in advance, then cancelled. Plus, I wanted to see the Cubs. Would have been my first one.

So I've been just following the webcams while listening to LiveATC (and kicking myself for thinking it was impossibly difficult). Oh, and I flew the Ripon—Fisk—Rwy 27 approach in an online flight simulator!

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-07-21 at 10.38.59 PM.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  20.4 KB

Poured like hell here yesterday morning, but cleared up in time for me to get out to Hartzell Field and get my BFR completed! Good to go anywhere! Next trip will be a small fly-in, either Port of Clinton or Shelby Co. here in Ohio. Not really missing OSH, could have gone with club member but too much to do here. 102 degrees is a pistol anywhere, I would hope all the folks up there are drinking lots of water and trying to keep in the shade (???).

Joe

At my age, walking miles in that heat is something I do NOT miss. I'm spending the week in front of the TV, in my airconditioned family room with a couple of gin and tonics.....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by WeaverJ3Cub View Post
    So I've been just following the webcams while listening to LiveATC (and kicking myself for thinking it was impossibly difficult). Oh, and I flew the Ripon—Fisk—Rwy 27 approach in an online flight simulator!
    Same here .. Oshkosh webcams, Live ATC, EAA Radio, and flying all the approach types in the Notams, in MS Flight Simulator, with a great group of pilots and controllers . I even got a few ILS approaches in on 36, earlier this morning, while the bad weather went through.
    The GOOD news .. This weeks AVGAS cost $0.00

Name:  ripon-fiske.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  60.8 KB

Anyone else, with FSX, is welcome to join us all this week -- July 20 through to July 30 at Virtual Oshkosh 2012.
    http://fs-mp.com/oshkosh

Geoff