Thread: Aviation History Art

Aviation History Art

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum. I'm an artist who has always been interested in vintage airplanes, motorcycles, and other interesting modes of transportation. I've recently been working on some pieces on maps of some of the pioneers of flight. I'm not a pilot, unfortunately, nor have I ever even been in a personal plane, I just love them. I thought this would be a good place to share, network, and get some feedback. I'm always on the hunt for interesting imagery to work with, so if anyone knows of any image sources or archives that aren't copyrighted which would suit my work, please let me know. Here's a couple of links to my website, and my shop, I hope it's okay to post them here:
    Name:  DSC03162.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  93.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1680.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  97.8 KB
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/KristenVanPatten?ref=si_shop
    http://kristenvanpatten.com/Site/Dra..._Prints.html#1

I for one love it!

Zack

Me too, great stuff. It would be great to see a series on pioneer homebuilts by decade: Pietenpol Air Camper, Heath Parasol and Mignet Pou-du-Ciel from the 1930s, for example.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Thanks for the ideas Matthew. I'll see what I can come up with.

I also am new to the forum, with an interest of pre 1910 aeroplanes I built a 1902 Wright glider and currently working a 1905 John Montgomery glider the 'Santa Clara' I found some photos of his early flights and construction photos in the Calif. state library archives. also in the archive section of the University of Santa Clara are some good photos and art work.

John Montgomery is a fascinating story.
    it is very possible,even likely that he built and flew a controlable glider before the Wrights, on Aug 28 1883. He was a 15 or 16 year old kid and there are some eyewitnesses of his flights on Otay Mesa just on the south side of San Diego. There is no doubt that he was a fine designer, he later was a professor at U of Santa Clara and built a
    plane not unlike the Wrights that definitely flew and was controllable.

I lived in San Diego one year and learned to fly at Montgomery Field.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 07-31-2012 at 09:59 PM.

Yes, Bill, Montgomery was a fine designer he sold a copy of the 'Santa Clara' in 1909 to Victor Laughead ( later changed his name to Lockheed) he added a 2 cyl. 12 HP motor and a wheeled undercarriage and on a dare flew the modified powered glider at Chicago, it was Lockheed's first airplane.