Thread: Help fix Genave Alpha 100

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help fix Genave Alpha 100

I have an old Genave Alpha 100, a very nice working old radio but it quit and I found a resister burned out.
    Genave, bless their hearts, have posted the entire manual on the web but the picture quality is bad and I can't see what the value is of this resister.
    If anyone has an old radio and could look at it and give me the colors I would appreciate.Name:  genavebot.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  10.8 KB

Name:  genavetop.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  9.9 KB

Is there a part ID NUMBER On he board beside this resistor ?. Such as. R107. Or similar .

Another picture

No number on the board but I did manage to get a reasonable photo of it.
    If someone has an old radio in your pile, four screws and your in.
    I hate to give up this old radio.
    Thanks

Ray
    Attached Images Attached Images  

May I suggest that you check with your local avionics shop as to whether the Genave's can be brought within modern frequency specs? I recall that when the FAA went to 25Khz channel spacing, a number of radios could not be tuned tightly enough to meet the new specs and they are now not legal to fly with. I think that I recall that some manufacturers like King had upgrade kits for some of their radios. But I vaguely recall that many older radios were not upgradable and became illegal. Their transmitters now step on multiple channels rather than the one intended channel. You should check before going further.

Best of luck,

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by raytoews View Post
    No number on the board but I did manage to get a reasonable photo of it.
    If someone has an old radio in your pile, four screws and your in.
    I hate to give up this old radio.
    Thanks

Ray
    The manuals on the Genave site are as clear as the originals... but replacing that resistor is not all you need to do. Something caused the resistor to burn up, and you need to figure that first. The schematic manuals are quite clear ... you need to figure out (by looking at nearby components and traces) where that part is on the schematic. Then you'll know what the value is, and you'll have a clue also about why it's toasted.

Alpha 100 Repair

I checked the frequency specification for the crystals installed in the Alpha 100 and they meet the latest + or - 0.003% FCC tolerance requirements. So this radio is still legal to use in an aircraft.

The next difficult step is to identify the burned out resister and also determine why it burned out. You may need to take this radio to an avionics shop that has the maintenance manual for this radio to track down and repair the problem.

I used to own an avionics shop that I sold and retired from. I know the shop does have a set of Genave maintenance manuals.

Contact info for that shop:

Spencer Avionics, Inc
    1979 - 330th Street, Municipal Airport
    Spencer, IA 51301

Owner: Quint DeGroot
    Phone: 712-262-2364
    Last edited by whemme; 05-18-2012 at 09:57 AM.