Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EAA ditches air racing?

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    So its "we're all for it, but NIMBY" ....I got it.

An FWIW, in your own words, what is your personal take on the directive Chad? Or can you say?
    I have no idea what NIMBY means...I don't got it. ;o)

Marty, I have no issue with it, I just wish Eric wouldn't have canceled it because of this.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

NIMBY - Not In My Back Yard

Ah, got it, thanks Zack.

Marty, that's not the case...I really hope the race goes on, and they do their mass arrival as they always have...right in our backyard.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Better update this website with a banner across the top. Something along the lines of "We are running from the lawyers with our tail between our legs, RACES CANCELLED!!!!"

http://www.airventurecup.com/
    The greatest sound in the world is a Rolls Royce Merlin over 100 inches, and the only place to hear it, RENO!!

www.timadamsphotography.com

That's part of the problem Tim...that's not EAA's website. We don't own it, and the content is there without EAA knowing about it.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Okay folks, this is the official statement release from EAA about the race and it's future that is going to the forums and media right now. I have to go back in to a meeting, but will be back online shortly.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

EAA STATEMENT REGARDING AIRVENTURE CUP RACE

EAA AVIATION CENTER, OSHKOSH, Wis. — (May 11, 2012) — EAA is stating the following in regards to the annual AirVenture Cup race, which has been the matter of some public discussion concerning the race’s future:
    • EAA did not cancel the AirVenture Cup race.

• The AirVenture Cup organizers opted to cancel this year’s race.

• A group of EAA volunteers founded and have organized the race for more than a decade. The race completes its competition outside Oshkosh, with the competitors then flying together for a mass arrival during AirVenture.

• As part of the race, EAA does assist race organizers with volunteer benefits and exhibit space.

• Since last year, there have been discussions with race organizers on better defining the event and its relationship to EAA, including clarifying name and branding elements.

• EAA encouraged organizers to continue the race and will continue to offer race organizers volunteer benefits.
    About EAA AirVenture Oshkosh
    EAA AirVenture Oshkosh is “The World’s Greatest Aviation Celebration” and EAA’s yearly membership convention. Additional EAA AirVenture information, including advance ticket and camping purchase, is available online at www.airventure.org. EAA members receive lowest prices on admission rates. For more information on EAA and its programs, call 1-800-JOIN-EAA (1-800-564-6322) or visit www.eaa.org. Immediate news is available at www.twitter.com/EAAupdate.
    -30-
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Jensen View Post
    regional fly ins, we take part, but no longer in an official supporting (sponsorship) way.
    That's really nice Chad. Proud of that are ya?
    Talk about a continual turn in the wrong direction.....
    Last edited by flyingriki; 05-11-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Actually no, but thanks for asking. Quite the opposite really. I wish it were different, but when EAA got sued and lost from a crash that killed a guy years ago, EAA got out of the regional fly-in sponsorship's. It's been that way for a while now. Nothing continual about it.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Tough spot you've been placed in Chad. Best of luck.

I am an EAA member, EAA is business and has tough decisions that need to be made. I support EAA. BTW I am also a RACER and don't like the decision but will still support the EAA.
    It's just one dam job after another

Brian C.
    Sport Air Racing League http://www.sportairrace.org/
    Race 155

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Jensen View Post
    Actually no, but thanks for asking. Quite the opposite really. I wish it were different, but when EAA got sued and lost from a crash that killed a guy years ago, EAA got out of the regional fly-in sponsorship's. It's been that way for a while now. Nothing continual about it.
    And continuing to run from things will just make the atmosphere worse and more susceptible to stupid lawsuits. As the old saying goes, if you're not part of the solution - you're part of the problem. The ostrich approach never solved anything. Another sad day for the ?AA....
    If RARA used the ?AA approach we'd never see another race. What if every organization ran scared from every little burp in life, what would that do for society as a whole? No, your organization is making some very poor decisions that have nothing to do with Experimental Aviation and everything to do with survival of Airventure (which even your spell checker doesn't recognize!!), used to be called Oshkosh....used to mean something. Flame on you 'head in the sand' types. I know, ignore it and it will go away, ignore it and worse will never happen, yeah, yeah , yeah.....