Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Food at Oshkosh, what kind and how much?

Consider slipping trail mix into your backpack for lunch. Get the real kind, with dried fruit and nuts. It really is quite healthy, inexpensive, provides more than enough energy to really get you around (trust me), takes up little hassle and space, saves time, and is tasty, too. Though I've never been to Oshkosh, I've been to other walk-a-million-miles-in-the-sun type events, and let me tell you, you won't know the difference between trail mix and a really nice lunch when there's so much to look at! (In fact, I have often forgotten to eat altogether!) Sometimes I also bring m&ms (if it's not too hot). I've never regretted doing this. But water! Oh, please don't forget water!
    *** Life is Lead Points and Habit Patterns ***

I have not read this entire thread, but have read most of it. Please know this. You can only survive three days on brats and Cokes, this has been proven in survival studies. Soon, Oshkosh Scurvy sets in, and the mere thought of an orange or a piece of lettuce will drive you insane. You will become incapacitated, unable to function, your hair will fall out, your skin will turn green, you will start foaming at the mouth. Just look around you and you will see the unfortunate wretches who have fallen victim to this dread decease, laying in the bushes, cast aside by their fellow man, clutching a bag a french fries, screaming for their mommy.
    Last edited by Inspector Fenwick; 06-16-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Fenwick View Post
    I have not read this entire thread, but have read most of it. Please know this. You can only survive three days on brats and Cokes, this has been proven in survival studies. Soon, Oshkosh Scurvey sets in, and the mere thought of an orange or a piece of lettuce will drive you insane. You will become incapacitated, unable to function, your hair will fall out, your skin will turn green, you will start foaming at the mouth. Just look around you and you will see the unfortunate wretches who have fallen victim to this dread decease, laying in the bushes, cast aside by their fellow man, clutching a bag a french fries, screaming for their mommy.
    THAT is the funniest thing I've read in a long while! Thanks for the sense of humor Larry!

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Fenwick View Post
    I have not read this entire thread, but have read most of it. Please know this. You can only survive three days on brats and Cokes, this has been proven in survival studies. Soon, Oshkosh Scurvey sets in, and the mere thought of an orange or a piece of lettuce will drive you insane. You will become incapacitated, unable to function, your hair will fall out, your skin will turn green, you will start foaming at the mouth. Just look around you and you will see the unfortunate wretches who have fallen victim to this dread decease, laying in the bushes, cast aside by their fellow man, clutching a bag a french fries, screaming for their mommy.
    Yeah, you said in another thread that you people watch. You can tell what they eat.......can't ya?

Quote Originally Posted by malexander View Post
    Yeah, you said in another thread that you people watch. You can tell what they eat.......can't ya?
    It is worse than that. I, myself, have suffered this malady. It was many years ago. I ran amuck the the Classic's parking area one night. The next morning they found me passed out in the Tall Pines Cafe, surrounded by 32 Orange Juice boxes. Of course, since I already got the disease, I am now immune. (And I bring some fruit to sell to my friends when I see the onset of the scurvy....so stop by at Interstate I 195 and buy a $20 orange.....you will think it is a bargain).
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

i get to come this year Larry. Looking forward to visiting with you. Im planning to arrive Mon, but it could be Tue if i have any mechanical issues

Quote Originally Posted by rustyr View Post
    i get to come this year Larry. Looking forward to visiting with you. Im planning to arrive Mon, but it could be Tue if i have any mechanical issues
    Mechanical issues? Bite yer tongue, Rusty.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

The healthiest food at Airventure: the cafeteria at the UW dorms - Blackhawk Commons or something like that.

Take the dorm bus (I think $1.00 each way) and the cafeteria is a stone's throw from the bus stop.

My wife is hard over about natural food for our children - she had a long talk with the chef there one day. They cook all-natural, mostly. It's buffet style. Breakfast is the best - I think $10.00 to get in, all you can eat and drink. Seems like supper was $16.

The closest thing to a reasonably priced balanced meal on the grounds is at the Ace's Cafeteria. It's nothing to write home about, but you might find a spaghetti dinner or ham with scalloped potatoes and green beans. Pretty sure you can get a hot breakfast there, also.

I generally start the day with fresh donuts at the Classic Cafe and take a root beer float break at the Twin Oaks Food Court in the afternoon.

The 2008 dining guide PDF that someone else posted earlier in this thread is a great resource for getting a general idea of what's available on the field and what it costs.

There's a big feast out at the Seaplane base that's fun (and just once during the week, not daily, as I recall).

A mile or so east of the field, on the short of Lake Winnebago, the waitresses on roller skates at Ardy & Ed's Drive In are friendly, the burgers are perfectly fine and the arrivals for runway 27 are pretty much right overhead.

Just northwest of the field is LaSure's, a tiny restaurant with great breakfasts. You can take the bus to the North 40 plane camping area and walk to LaSure's from there.

Those are my favorites.
    Last edited by dbarnes612; 07-15-2012 at 05:43 PM.

Anyone know if the Grey Fox restaurant in the mall still in operation? Been awhile since I had last been to Oshkosh but I remember they have a really nice mall on the river there.