Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Food at Oshkosh, what kind and how much?

The other option is that you can just volunteer a lot. I can't tell you the number of mystery meat sandwiches I've consumed from Operation Thirst (but they just aren't the same without the jolly rancher candy smooshed in the middle of them). Some of the volunteer groups even have more elaborate dining options.

Breakfast at the Warbirds Cafe! (traditional American breakfast items, e.g. pancakes, eggs, bacon, biscuits, gravy, coffee, etc).

For lunch, you need to at least go one day to the Seaplane Base and have the Black Angus Beef sandwich, which is served only there... nowhere else at all of AirVenture.

Here's a dining guide from AirVenture 2008... most of it is still relevant info about what kinds of foods are served by the various on-site cafes.
    http://www.airventure.org/planning/dining_guide.pdf
    Last edited by CheckerBird; 05-10-2012 at 04:02 PM.
    Neal Howard
    EAA # 741029
    2003 Vans RV-6

For the last couple years there's been a "fine dining" place just south of the Vintage Red Barn. It's a sit-down restaurant and bar. Last year I found it to be good but not great. At least it's different from the stand-in-line places. My steak was only fair, a bit tough for the "fine dining" plastic-ware. Other entrees might be better. A bit expensive, but not "take your breath away" expensive. The bar with outside seating was a pleasant place on the grounds to sit down and have a beer.

Food at Oshkosh

I'd never deny the fun of plane camping, but driving in and staying with a family is a great option. I don't know current prices, but I've paid 50-55 the three times I've been. Depending how they charge for a second person, it's pretty reasonable. All my hosts have provided OK to great breakfasts.

Every time I've gone, on FF miles, I've longed for a bike. Could you squeeze two of the little folders into your Al tube? They would give wonderful freedom to go a few miles offsite. They aren't as cheap as Walmart, but you can consider them a front end investment for future shows, even if you fly commercial. Don't forget the pretty good bus service toward town. I've had some great experiences in neighborhood bars. I hit one hot and tired from walking a mile or so with my luggage on a Happy Hour day. When I bought a mug of beer I got a nice free burger!

The people of OSH are GREAT! I've been picked up by strangers, ferried in by my hosts, and even caught rides with bus drivers after their shifts! The tour of the bus barn was a bonus!

The worst of it is that events at night last well beyond bus service and even taxis are in short supply.

I once stopped for directions at a liquor store. the guy said his mom was going near where I was staying and that she'd be glad to take me. She did! Naturally I bought some beer for the house from him.

Another option would be a couple of cheap bikes from Walmart or such. If you can't take them home, give to Goodwill or maybe sell onsite.

I've had some pretty decent meals at the offsite places near the UL field. They seem to be mostly family run and very friendly. Of course NONE of the places onsite are strong on vegetables, so save your fat/starch/sugar allotments before going and don't fight the system.

Not a straight answer, but maybe of some use. I've never had enough time for what I wanted to do, so I'd spend a little more and avoid the camp cooking hassle, although it may well be a bonding time with the kid.

You'll love it!
    Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    No doubt, but every time I try and go there, the lines are silly long. There aren't many on-site breakfast options, so Tall Pines and the others get very busy.
    Right about lines. There are lots of campers down there and they depend on Tall Pines. The cooks and staff are volunteers and work very hard, but they may not be as speedy as IHOP. Camp store provisions are a good idea. Around the main gate there are usually a church food booth or two, but this varies from year to year with EAA's policy. The food on the grounds is expensive; people complain but it is still expensive every year.

Did anngray just use "speedy" and "IHOP" in the same sentence? It's different at those near my home.

Bikes are available for rent on the field, so not necessary to bring fold-ups, or buy cheapies in town.

As soon as we finish setting up tents, we go to the Pik-n-Sav grocery just north of the field. It's a very nice, full-line store. There is bus service from the campgrounds right to the store and back. We buy stuff that we can put into backpacks and carry it during the day. When you need lunch, you don't need to look for it. You can buy a small grill and coal and cook at your tent for a pretty cost-effective way. If you don't want to consider bringing any of the gear you'll need, you might contact the UPS Store north of the airport. Ship it ahead and let them receive it for a price.

The barn stores really do a decent job, and their prices are reasonable when you consider the venue. The food vendors near the show are typical national chains, and priced so. A meal is going to be $9-10. I've never found a bargain, but the ice cream cones are pretty cheap and full of calories.

Many of the off-airport restaurants really try to welcome you. (Aww, they love us, it's got to be their best profits of the year.) The prices seem typical for the midwest, so not too bad. The tents just on the north of the field, outside airport boundaries, are a decent meal for the money, as mentioned earlier, and often have a band.

I second the suggestion of going to the seaplane base. For a really good meal and evening, go the the Seaplane Pilots Assn. cornroast dinner. One price for dinner and beer. There are also many dinners hosted by type-clubs and vendors, priced at reasonable to free. Spend some hours googling in advance, and you could save a bit of cash.

When all else fails, spend money and enjoy. It's OSH!

Based on the past four years attending with my son, I've planned $8 per person for lunch on the grounds. Then we splurge every afternoon and get a root beer float. Total food expense for the 9 day trip has been right about $350, including meals on the road during the 20 hour drive each way. We drive from Houston with a fully loaded Suburban and stay at Camp Scholler, so we cook breakfast and dinner at camp. We bring most of our food from home packed in dry ice, but even the groceries at the Camp stores are reasonable.

Bicycles

There is a large Goodwill store about a mile(?) north of Wittman Field. You can probably find it on Google. They have had lots of bikes for sale at very reasonable prices, before the event.

nothing like getting a few friends together around the camp site and cooking up a pan of shrimp creole

Name:  100ND200-0037_DSC.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  92.2 KB

That's a "pan" of shrimp creole in much the same way an A380 is an airliner. LOL

I'm not going to make it this year but perhaps next year, we can work out a trade of some of your shrimp creole for some of my from scratch spaghetti sauce over homemade chicken and three-cheese tortellini? If there's one thing I love more than airplanes it's cooking and the last time I made sauce and tortellini it resulted in a near fistfight over the last bowlful (note: never get between firefighters and food).
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.