Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Food at Oshkosh, what kind and how much?

Food at Oshkosh, what kind and how much?

I'm taking my teenage son and me to Oshkosh this year. We are camping with minimum equipment, since flying in a large aluminum tube, which means no cooking, utinsels or anything related to eating will be brought. How much should i figure to spend on me and the boy, which is very large, for 7 days of eating at the show and maybe surrounding eaterys? What are going to be the available eating places on the airport or close by? The last time i went to Oshkosh was about 22 years ago and i don't even remember eating.

skeeter

Just to be safe, I would budget at least $10 per person per meal. Most food vendors on the grounds have prices similar to a MLB ballpark - $5-$7 for a hotdog, $3 for a bottle of water or soda, etc. That being said, if you can squeeze in a small cooler, perhaps packing some of your equipment in it to save space during the flight, you can buy some ice, some bottled water, a loaf of bread, and some sandwich meat from the campground store here on the grounds and eat on the cheap all week. I've done it before myself.

As for restaurants nearby, we have two pub-type restaurants right on the border of the North 40 - Friar Tucks and the Charcoal Pit. A bit further away (but not much), we have West End Pizza, a Hardies, Durangos Mexican Restaurant, an Arby's, a Subway, and Eaton's Pizza and Sandwich shop. Further down the frontage road are a variety of places to eat such as Applebys, Culvers, McDonalds, Taco Bell, a new Olive Garden, and a few others.

There are many other places to eat, but most of these that I have listed are the closest.

You can also buy a dirt cheap grill and a foam cooler from the nearby Wal-Mart or Target and leave it in the dumpster when you go.

EAA is setting up a food venue on the N40, partnering with Kodiak Jack’s (see http://www.kodiakjacksrestaurant.com/home.php). details are not set in stone, but the expectation is this venue will be open in the morning for breakfast service and the evening for dinner service. Target location is approximately mid-way between the two shower houses on the south side of 9/27 (site planning is already underway).

We camp in the North 40 every year. It's breakfast ($12 buffet) at the Hilton on the north side of 9/27. Usually an apple ($0) or a frozen fruit cup thing ($4) or a brat ($4) purchased on the field for lunch. Plan on up to $25 for dinner depending on the venue.

The answer is "it depends". I don't like to wait in lines for county fair like food (overpriced hotdogs and burgers), and don't mind eating boring food. So I go to the camp store and get a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter. That can provide breakfast and/or lunch for several days. When I'm not in the mood for that, I'll grab a doughnut at the ultralight HQ for breakfast and scrounge for lunch.

I usually eat dinner at the tent just off the grounds on the West side of the field, near the museum. Dinner is <$10 for something tasty, but decidedly unhealthy. Beer is extra. IMO, there are also a couple of dinner places on-site where you can get something pretty good for <$10.

So, if you do it on the cheap, you can survive on $15 a day. I figure I spend $30, counting the beer and the fried cheese curds at the off-site tent.

Fried cheese curds... July seems sooo far away.

We've brought in food in the past when camping, primarily because we get there early and the food operations are not in full swing, but really, these days, all we bring is coffee and perhaps some breakfast stuff. It's usually not convenient for us to get back to camp for lunch. As stated, the food situation varies from year to year and the EAA has tried various things to increase the variety. As already pointed out there are some "walkable" off site venues (already mentioned as well as LaSeurs, and some others at the North End) plus some food trailers that pull up outside the gates by the ultralight area (good breakfast).

If you're looking for breakfast, don't forget the Tall Pines Cafe. This is operated by the Vintage Volunteers down by the ultralight area and has pretty good breakfast.

If you want to cook at your campsite, you can get just about everything you need at the Scholler camp store.

As others have mentioned, what you spend on food really depends on your eating habits. If you fly in, your transportation to some of the off-site facilities might be a little bit more limited. And for me...I'm there to see airplanes so I don't like wasting time trying to hike over to the local Applebees. I usually pack food for breakfast (coffee, Pop Tarts, Nutrigrain Bars, etc.). Lunch is almost always over at the Hangar Cafe in Vintage or possibly at one of the big food tents in Aeroshell Square (yes...it will always be Aeroshell Square to me). Dinner is a toss-up based on where I end up around dinner time.

For cost, I always budget $30/person-day. It's worked the past 4-6 years.
    Dave Sterling
    1957 PA22-150/160
    N6929D
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post

If you're looking for breakfast, don't forget the Tall Pines Cafe. This is operated by the Vintage Volunteers down by the ultralight area and has pretty good breakfast.
    No doubt, but every time I try and go there, the lines are silly long. There aren't many on-site breakfast options, so Tall Pines and the others get very busy.
    Last edited by Kyle Boatright; 05-09-2012 at 08:39 PM.