Thread: Need prop for a Model A engined pientenpol/adviceneeded/availability?

Need prop for a Model A engined pientenpol/adviceneeded/availability?

At our museum, pioneerflightmuseum.org, we have a "Old Pete" a Pietenpol Sky Scout with a Model A engine. On the plane was a 72 x 44 cub prop that no one was happy with, just not enough thrust (the engine has been newly rebuilt and seems to run fine). Recently this prop got "stolen" by our Cub as it had a new engine that needed that propeller. I had done a little previous research and noted that the prop looked small in comparison to other model A powered Pietenpols.

My research indicates the ideal prop for Old Pete would be a 78 x 42 propeller as this is what is used by Model A powered Air Campers.

Any advice/help on the proper propeller for Old Pete and where a 78 x 42 might be found or are there better propellers? We have a 72 x 40 prop that we took off of our Cub when the new engine did not like it (it loves the 72 x 44), but that seems like a step in the wrong direction.

alsumrall2001@yahoo.com

The original specification for the Pietenpol published in the 1932 Flying and Glider Manual states the engine at for a Model A 35hp@1600rpm the prop diameter is from 74" to 78" with a pitch of 48" to 51".
    This same prop specification is again shown for the 1934 Improved Aircamper with the 40hp@1650rpm Model A engine.
    As far as a good propeller for a reasonable price, I have always been happy with Culver Props.
    Hope that is helpful.

best
    Russ

ref:
    http://www.airminded.net/piet/piet.html
    Last edited by snj5; 05-05-2012 at 02:56 PM.

I also recommend Culver props!

http://www.culverprops.com/culverintro.php
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Dan Helsper

Dan Helsper has an excellent video on how to carve your own. He's got a beautiful hand carved prop on his Piet. If you don't want to carve your own, try Jay Anderson of Cloudcar Props. Good luck!Dan

Pietenpol Guru

Lookk up Frank Pavliga in Ohio. Use FAA Datagbase under pilots or pietenpols. He flew with Model A for several years. Has built or rebuilt several. Flying one with radial engine now.