Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What was good and bad about OSH2011...

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post

Paying *ANYBODY* to fly is a slippery slope.
    Don't they pay the airshow performers like Sean Tucker, Gary Ward, Julie Clark, etc? The costs of operating the warbirds these days must be astronomical; I'm afraid their attendance and flying will dwindle away to nothing in the years to come.

I think EAA says that no one is paid to fly, as far as money. Some performers do get free cars and passes and may also get free hotel rooms.
    Warbirds get reimbursed for the fuel used when flying in the show, nothing for the trip in or out.
    I don't think anyone should be paid, let's have some event that is not just for money.
    Money has pretty much ruined college sports, etc.

Come to think of it, I don't think there is any "camping unit sticker" check in the N40. I wasn't paying that kind of attention, so didn't notice any "stand alone" tents w/no planes.
    How do they enforce it in vintage? What if someone refuses to leave?

Smoking: Is not the N40 considered part of the flight line? BTW, the fuel truck was servicing the plane next to the cigar smokers! The back end of the truck was about even with their chairs, and they don't see anything wrong with that??

I worked line service for the past 4 1/2 years and I would have been very upset if I had seen someone smoking cigars like that.

One thing I want to say is that I wish that if you want to be on the flightline you have to be a member. I think that would kill a lot of the problems with people changing diapers on wings and the smoking on the flightline. I hardly saw any of the Protect our planes people if any at all. I know it will never go back to members only on the flightline but one can hope.

Whenever I try to view pix, I encounter FaceBook

I don't belong to FaceBook and don't intend to.
    Can I see the pix without joining?

Glen Wilcox

Glen, you should be able to view all the EAA galleries on Facebook without joining.

Recently EAA has started posting all of its photo galleries exclusively on Facebook. However they are posted as "public" which means you do not have to be a member of Facebook to view them.

Not all pictures posted on the page are from EAA Facebook administrators, they are posted by other Facebook users. It may be those users photos that ask you to join or login when you click on them because their Facebook security settings may be more restrictive that pictures posted on the page as "From EAA".

Quote Originally Posted by flybill7 View Post
    Don't they pay the airshow performers like Sean Tucker, Gary Ward, Julie Clark, etc? The costs of operating the warbirds these days must be astronomical; I'm afraid their attendance and flying will dwindle away to nothing in the years to come.
    To my knowledge, no. For example, the civilian Sea Harrier last year (which I can GUARANTEE you cost more to operate than any classic warbird there) was paid through the owner's own money and sponsorships. He was griping he didn't even get a car pass to get close to the aircraft.

As you may know, it used to be that way, having to be a member to get a flightline pass. The public would be behind the fence.
    I think however, this may be a problem of trying to put the genie back in the bottle.
    I have always felt the poppies have been pretty ineffective. I worked ONE shift with them, years ago, just so I could say I've been in their shoes, and give me the right to criticize.

Quote Originally Posted by NAA551WB View Post
    I worked line service for the past 4 1/2 years and I would have been very upset if I had seen someone smoking cigars like that.

One thing I want to say is that I wish that if you want to be on the flightline you have to be a member. I think that would kill a lot of the problems with people changing diapers on wings and the smoking on the flightline. I hardly saw any of the Protect our planes people if any at all. I know it will never go back to members only on the flightline but one can hope.

At least the mosquitoes that are big enough to have tail numbers didn't seem to be out in force this year.
    It was funny when the LSA craze started in earnest, the first thing I heard about it was a discussion about how much was going to be displayed at Oshkosh that year regarding them. The thought that went through my head was "As if the mosquitos aren't annoying enough, now they are going to have large displays dedicated to them!"