Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: STOL OPERATIONS IN AN AERONCA 11AC w/65 hp

Edgefly - I may have mislead you 07N is actually 2200 feet long so even if I can normally land and get off in the first 1300 feet of it, I still have a comfortable margin of safety before I run out of runway. This is different, at last psychologically, than haveing only 1150 feet between obstacals. I'm not an enginer so I would be reluctant to comment on the idea of adding enough horsepower/torque/etc to make it over 50 foot obstacles in X number of feet. Just a comment based on personal experience - adding horsepower also adds weight, so a major part of your added horsepower is going to be used up in compensating for the added weight, therefore, the required increase in horsepower is going to be considerable. We have been talking mostly theoretically here. Why don't you just take your airplane out to a longer grass strip, mark off the distance between your obstacles, and do a couple of takeoffs and landings. Do you feel comfortable that you would be able to do it safely when the real obstacles are there?
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Don't try it,,,,

Steve in Indy said "one of the first things my instructor pointed out was that "On days like today- hot and humid- there's going to be a big difference in being able to get into a field versus getting out of it. Plan ahead."

Steve's instructor sounds like a man of wisdom.
    You seem pretty intent on trying this. I advise against it. However, a safe way to see if you can do make it in and OUT is setting up a paper mache ribbon across a grass strip at the same heigth as your powerlines. Use the hottest day with the highest relative humidity with no headwind to simulate conditions you may encounter in the actual field. Ripping through a ribbon will be a much better option than mixing aircraft tubing and high voltage powerlines.

The Tractor Doc

Aeronca 11AC

I know this is late, But take look at the 11CC Super Chief It has 85HP

Quote Originally Posted by EDGEFLY View Post
    I would like to hear from EXPIERENCED and currently active, in type, pilots of of Chiefs wih just the fundamental 65 horses as to their ability to land the machine SHORT and takeoff with minimum ground roll on grass. Input fom instructors giving training, doing BFR's or otherwise specifying "How-To" in this aircraft are of special interest. I purposefully left the obstacle specification to the responder but, obviously, the higher and closer the better. There are static numbers from many sources, but the question is "what are you actually achieving ? Another factor is the ever present Chief vs. Champ hassle. This question has to do with the 11 AC only.Please refrain from the childish bickering which so often arises in forum discussions about technique such as was present in the recent posts on Taylorcraft "Speed-Brakes". If you find a post objectionable, just leave it be. If you feelpersonally insulted, I suggest you take it up with the individual via pm or contact the forum moderator.