Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a used experimental, builders name does not match *exactly* on reg and aw cert

Buying a used experimental, builders name does not match *exactly* on reg and aw cert

I'm trying to buy an experimental airplane that may have an issue on the FAA registration... the builder listed on the original registration, himself and his (now-ex) wife as co-builders in the format of "LASTNAME INITIAL/LASTNAME INITIAL" (e.g. "SMITH A/SMITH B") but the AW cert and ops limits doc shows simply "LASTNAME" as the builder (e.g. "SMITH"). The FAA accepted these items this way and the airplane has been on record with them and flying for nearly ten years. I've been told by other folks that the builder's name must match perfectly, exactly the same text strings, on all the docs (reg, aw cert, op limits, and data plate), or the airplane is "paperwork-unairworthy". Is this true? If so, then how does this get fixed?

The owner/builder just went thru the process of getting his builders name spelling corrected on the registration, as it was misspelled in the manufacturer's name field on the registration by one letter in both last names (e.g. like "SMATH A/SMATH B"), and was that way for almost ten years. That part has now been corrected, but it was quite a big hassle since he had to locate his ex-wife in another state and get her notarized signature on a form and he's reluctant to repeat the process even if the FAA will allow further amending of the "manufacturer's name" to shorten it to simply "LASTNAME" to match the rest of the docs. I'd really like to buy this particular airplane because it's one of the best built ones I've ever seen, and I'd hate to have to walk away from it.
    Last edited by CheckerBird; 05-03-2012 at 11:51 PM.
    Neal Howard
    EAA # 741029
    2003 Vans RV-6

I don't really see how the Airworthiness Certificate and the other paperwork other than the REGISTRATION are a tremendous big concern. That has nothing to do with ownership, and the name of the manufacturer on the A/C isn't required to be the "person" name anyhow. Some of the "manufacturer" names are pretty fanciful.

You need the registration to match the person who is selling to you so that it is clear that he is the one authorized to convey the title. Believe me that Joklahoma city can be really sticky about that. I'm still trying to get my wife's name changed (we bought the plane before we go married). The Airman registry was a piece of cake, we just talked to them at Oshkosh one year. The Aircraft Registry is a real pain in the butt.

Quote Originally Posted by CheckerBird View Post
    I've been told by other folks that the builder's name must match perfectly, exactly the same text strings, on all the docs (reg, aw cert, op limits, and data plate), or the airplane is "paperwork-unairworthy". Is this true?
    No.

If so, then how does this get fixed?
    All you need to do is send in a bill of sale and registration application with the appropriate registration fee. If the aircraft is currently co-owned, the bill of sale has to be signed by both owners.

What matters is that the name on the REGISTRATION matches exactly what is on your BILL OF SALE. I know I went through it because of an omitted initial on the registration, it was a pain to fix but in the end what it took to fix was a letter from me "notarized" stating that indeed the seller on my bill of sale was the same person as was on the registration. The airworthiness has the builders name on it which in my case was not the seller, in your it just happens to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Racegunz View Post
    What matters is that the name on the REGISTRATION matches exactly what is on your BILL OF SALE. I know I went through it because of an omitted initial on the registration, it was a pain to fix but in the end what it took to fix was a letter from me "notarized" stating that indeed the seller on my bill of sale was the same person as was on the registration. The airworthiness has the builders name on it which in my case was not the seller, in your it just happens to be.
    Are you talking about the Registered Owner name on the registration, or the Manufacturer / Builder's name? (those are two distinctly separate items)

I don't have any issues with any of the owner's name / registered owner data.
    My problem is solely focused on Manufacturer / Builder's name data fields only.
    Neal Howard
    EAA # 741029
    2003 Vans RV-6

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    I don't really see how the Airworthiness Certificate and the other paperwork other than the REGISTRATION are a tremendous big concern.
    They only make the distinction between buying an airworthy airplane and buying an expensive paperweight that'll flunk a ramp check or be denied an insurance claim due to paperwork inconsistencies.
    That does constitute just a wee tiny bit of a concern for me!
    Neal Howard
    EAA # 741029
    2003 Vans RV-6

I'm talking owner registration, the A/W cert. is what it is, I don't see them looking up any misspellings on a ramp check??? how would they know it was mispelled they haven't caught it yet. but never ran across that either. I think your fretting over something that will never happen. What is the price of this bird if you pass maybe I'll pick it up?

I got a call from the owner/seller today, and he called both OK City and the FSDO and finally got in touch with folks there who knew all the correct answers. The FSDO told him that back in 2003, it was still considered a "gray area" if all the builder name data fields had to match precisely across all the documents, but now they absolutely want them all to match exactly. The FSDO told him to come down on Monday and they'd re-issue him a brand new amended airworthiness cert and ops limits with the builder name info corrected to match what's now on the current registration (with last names spelled correctly). Fortunately the data plate already says what the registration says (with correct spelling) so it looks like by the middle of the week, everything will be golden document-wise, with the builder name exactly matching across registration, AW cert, Op Limits docs and data plate and I can then proceed to sign my life away into debt for the next ten years and buy me a nice, cherry RV-6 and I'll likely have it in my hangar by next weekend
    Neal Howard
    EAA # 741029
    2003 Vans RV-6

Obviously the mechanical condition and flying quality of the plane is paramount. But without the right paperwork, which means all the details correct, what happens when you get ready to sell the plane?
    Maybe it will all be good next week, and I hope so, but if not then I'd sure be dubious if you are buying a good plane or just a good story.Right now it seems all you have is a good story by the seller who may or may not have title. Did he talk to FAA/FSDO and get the promise to make it right? Well, you say that is what he is telling you, but how do you really know? I think I'd want to go to the FSDO office with him.

It's hard when you really want to buy something and you are hoping it will be right and it's hard to be patient.
    My Son bought a good BMW, only a few years old, looks great, low milage and a good price. He thought it was a real good price and he didn't worry too much because it was a sale by a dealer and they took his trade in. So come to find out it was a dealer loaner car and never registered as a normal registration. So although the car is good, a year later he liikes it, there was a delay and extra expense when it came to my Son getting it registered. By the way, he is an attorney, not just an average buyer.

It feels good to trust people and most are decent, but if you are willing to take a good story, there is all too many like Bernie Madoff or George Bush that are ready to come up with a good story, and that's all you get.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 05-05-2012 at 09:09 PM.

I watched this plane being built from 2000 thru 2003 and was present for its first flight. I know it intimately. The build quality is second to none. I also helped him with the most recent condition inspection and went over the plane myself with a fine-tooth comb WRT its mechanical condition as my "pre-buy" inspection. That's why I want this particular one. I've also participated in the building of 4 other different RVs and this RV6 is actually constructed better than the quick-build RV-8 that I helped another friend finish (I did all the wiring and avionics on the -8) and flew it solo myself to Oshkosh the past 2 years in a row. The builder/owner/seller of the RV-6 is also a friend of mine, and while he's the most nit-picky perfectionist when it comes to the mechanical stuff, he just wasn't fully in tune with the paperwork side of things and relied on a DAR who was a little sloppy with the paperwork too, but when this builder's name issue is all straightened out, I'll have no doubts about the future sale-ability of this plane. I already have a copy of the FAA documents cdrom for the RV-6 and this is the only paperwork issue it has. It's got very low hours airframe and engine, and I will be the 2nd owner. I've also got a little over 100 hours in tailwheel RVs (-4, -6, -7, -8) and also in nosewheel RVs (-7A and -10) and this particular -6 is one sweet-flying, hands-off stable plane.

Pics of it are here: http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/001079.html

Last edited by CheckerBird; 05-05-2012 at 10:26 PM.
    Neal Howard
    EAA # 741029
    2003 Vans RV-6