Thread: GPS/EFB and Headsets

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

GPS/EFB and Headsets

I'm starting to look for handheld GPS units and new headsets. What do you use and what would you buy?

I am getting good use out of an old Garmen 196. With the money I saved, I bought a Lightspeed headset that I love. They provide excellent customer support! However, if you have the $$, lots of folks are chosing the iPad route these days. Lotsa capability.
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

For GPS I'm running WingX on an iPad 2 and love it. The only iPad drawback I see is readability in direct sunlight. I have a Cherokee which has a shady cockpit. For a bubble canopy plane I'm not sure how it would be.

I have a panel mounted Garmin 696 & I am still satisfied with mid level David Clark headsets. If I fly a very long tome without talking I take the headset off & put in ear plugs.

I've been using Clarity Aloft headsets for the last 5 years. Lightweight (a few ounces), comfortable and quiet. Not inexpensive at $500.

My wife and I have been using the Lightspeed Mach 1 with custom ear molds since 2007 and absolutely love the performance and comfort. Unfortunately...Lightspeed discontinued these in 2011. Clarity Aloft is similar but I didn't find theirs to be as comfortable as the Lightspeed. Since I haven't been looking recently, I'm not sure who is in the ITE headset market anymore.
    Dave Sterling
    1957 PA22-150/160
    N6929D
    Website