Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wireless Services @ AirVenture 2011 (Not Wi-Fi). Looking for feed-back.

FlyingRon - Imagine that.....

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    I got a strong WIFI signal indication, but neither my DELL laptop NOR my iPhone would connect successfully to the network. I was down in Vintage behind the hangar cafe.
    To provide a high-capacity, robust backbone for the Wi-Fi access points, EAA has invested heavily in laying fiber optic cable on the grounds. Unfortunately, we are unable to lay fiber across all areas given the expense. The Vintage/Hangar location is not on the fiber network - it was serviced by a phone line with a consumer-grade DSL appliance. Your problem could have been caused by one of two things:
    1) The appliance didn't have enough IP addresses to serve demand. This location was heavily used during inclement weather. Given it is consumer-grade, the appliance simply doesn't provide the same level of management and administrative tools that professional-grade appliances provide.
    2) The phone line was down at the time you were attempting to access the Wi-Fi (we saw failure of the lines of both the Vintage/Hangar and Ultralight areas during the rain on Wednesday).

We did offer other locations on the grounds for Wi-Fi access. Did you try any of those?
    John Carrier, EAA #877198
    Vice President, Information Technology
    Staff Liaison to the N40

EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Phone: 920.426.6166
    Fax: 920.426.6865
    Cell: 920.379.4185

The hangars A, B, C, D, and E were set up as vendor-only Wi-Fi. They had a different SSID and required a password to access. No public Wi-Fi was officially being offered in those areas (although signals from other access points may have provided some level of public service).

Nope, I had no cause to wifi other than Vintage Flight Line Ops and my camp site, both evidentally in the bogus area of the EAA network.
    You mean that given that horrendous trench they dug across the classic taxiway and left a muddy collapsing mess didn't get us any improved service?

Quote Originally Posted by jcarrier View Post
    The hangars A, B, C, D, and E were set up as vendor-only Wi-Fi. They had a different SSID and required a password to access. No public Wi-Fi was officially being offered in those areas (although signals from other access points may have provided some level of public service).
    I in fact was able to log-on from inside an Exhibit hangar.

My wife and I both have AT&T phones (hers is an iPhone, mine an Android phone). We both had poor cell phone service for both data and voice throughout most of our stay (Wed through Sunday). Sometimes in the late evenings - say after 10:00pm - we were able to get a decent data connection and when we were desperate enough to try multiple times to get a phone call through, we could usually eventually get one out (i.e. if I tried to make a call a half dozen times within 30 minutes or so, I could get through maybe on the last try).

In contrast, for us, the WiFi worked pretty well. It didn't always work, and it was sometimes slow, but it was so much more reliable than the AT&T service that it seemed great in comparison. This was mainly in the N40 camping area but also occasionally throughout the grounds.

Cell service on Verizon was flawless. Verizon Droid X Hotspot for internet a bit slow to connect but stable when it did. Decent speed. EAA Wireless connection useless for more than a few minutes.

AT&T iphone - No probems with calls or wifi on Monday.

I've got Sprint service, and I believe I only had one call that didn't go through. Of course I don't know if the problem was on my end, or the other. An immediate redial got it through. 3G data seemed to be fine, although I do have a Touch Pro 2 phone which is kinda slow running Windows 6.5.

I have an HTC EVO on Sprint...... coverage and service throughout the grounds was very good. Some of that may be due to the fact that I was there from Saturday to Tuesday evening, so I may have missed the peak demand later in the week. For the time I was there, both data and voice service were extremely reliable.