Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Services @ AirVenture 2011 (Not Wi-Fi). Looking for feed-back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    What a pity, cell phone service was so bad that I had to spend my time looking at airplanes and listening to airplanes and people talking about airplanes. Maybe soon there will be a super I phone-Ipod-Ipad that can simulate it all no matter where I am and it won't be necessary to leave New York or L A to waste valuable time looking at airplanes when I could be talking to or reading a gadget. I wonder what people did for entertainment back in the early EAA airshow days before there were no cell phones?
    Touché Bill and I certainly appreciate your keen observation here. Reminds me of a statement my father shared recently "we have so many technology based, time saving devices that we no longer have time to do anything."

I have Verizon Wireless internet. I usually connected to that as I was always in the congested WiFi areas (flightline north of ConocoPhilips Plaza during the day and Camp Scholler at night) and rarely got a connection, much less a speedy one. My internet seemed to run very well, especially in Scholler. Of course, my expectations are dismally low as I live in the hills of NC and I'm lucky to get any connection at all at my house.

As for my phone: The Custom Aircraft shack seemed to be a bit of a dead spot for my Verizon phone. It dropped the call once or twice if I sat at the back, but outside of the shack and over in Scholler I had flawless service. I rarely say anything kind about Verizon, but I didn't have a problem during my week except for the back of the shack.

All of the people around me with ATT were hurting due to almost non-existant service - all of the things already described above. I attended all week and my Verizon service was significantly better than the ATT but Verizon also showed occasional signs of being at or above capacity.

My vote goes to Verizon.

John

I-Phone 4 and had a hard time getting calls in and out. Internet access was spotty.

Verizon worked well. No problems. 5 years ago I had a problem and they said they would be out and fix it. No more problems that year

Was I the only T-Mobile customer at AirVenture this year? Service was much worse than in years past, never able to access e-mail or the Web on my Android phone. Callers could not leave voicemail messages the first few days, but could after Tuesday. I never could retrieve my voicemail messages without jumping through some extra hoops. And on Friday I frequently got "Not registered on network" messages when trying to make a call.

Maybe not as bad as all the AT&T complaints, but no warm fuzzy feelings for T-Mobile from here!

I have Cellcom and had no problems at all with voice service. Texting was fine with the exception of sending pictures. The data speed to send a picture was so slow I went into a coma and later awoke from it to see it was still sending.....

Verizon @ OSH

Myself, my wife, and two of my close friends at OSH have Verizon. We did not have any trouble, but we were only using the cell to locate each other and coordinate getting together for forums and meals. My perception is that Verizon has gotten better @ OSH over the years. It used to be that Verizon worked ONLY on the grounds, and not very good even a few miles away.

Friend had Iphone with At&t and very poor service throughout show.
    I had what amounts to a rotary dial phone on the Sprint network and had no trouble at anytime during our stay. Finally a reason to be happy with Sprint...

Nextel Sprint service was excellent as usual. MMS also worked flawlessly on the i680 I was using. Of course our replacement i686 units didn't show up until a week after the show. Motorola i680s have an irritating hinge weakness design flaw.