Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Wireless Services @ AirVenture 2011 (Not Wi-Fi). Looking for feed-back.

AT&T was terrible

I have an iPhone 4 and tried to use AT&T service at OSH. Calls were next to impossible. Texts most of the time hit a brick wall but once in a while would sometimes go through 45 minutes to 4 hours after being sent. I was able to make a couple of calls while standing between the museum and kidventure on friday morning. Once I went through the main gates it was like some one shut off our service. I was with a couple who had verizon phones. They had some trouble but not as bad as the GSM phones.

There seemed to be lots of signal strength everywhere. The services were clogged however. A friend of mine needed to call for an IFR slot and borrowed eight different cellphones of various carriers before one finally worked. My wife and I have Net10 and TracFone (I think the same carrier). There were a number of times we couldn't make calls to each other.

We had similar problems with Wifi. Usually good signal strength, but the network was so clogged to was impractical to use. It often took a few minutes just to logon, and then minutes per page to load. We were at AirVenture for 10 days. I think I managed to get my email three times :-(

Both Net10 and TracFone are GSM phones and that limits you to AT&T and T-Mobile (soon to be the same) in the US.

Verizon, no problems anywhere around OSH

iPhone 4 on ATT. Arrived Saturday. Had phone, 3G, and text Saturday through Wednesday over 95% of the time. Huge improvement over 2010. WiFi was spotty at best on the airport. WiFi was GREAT in the dorms. Thursday I had almost NO ATT voice, 3G or WiFi. Just as bad as last year. Left Friday so cannot comment on service after Thursday. (Note: Last year, 2010, I was using the iPhone 3G.) After reading the posts, it looks like I was the only ATT customer that had very good service through Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Both Net10 and TracFone are GSM phones and that limits you to AT&T and T-Mobile (soon to be the same) in the US.
    America Movil owns both brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary.Sobek View Post
    iPhone 4 on ATT. Arrived Saturday. Had phone, 3G, and text Saturday through Wednesday over 95% of the time. Huge improvement over 2010. WiFi was spotty at best on the airport. WiFi was GREAT in the dorms. Thursday I had almost NO ATT voice, 3G or WiFi. Just as bad as last year. Left Friday so cannot comment on service after Thursday. (Note: Last year, 2010, I was using the iPhone 3G.) After reading the posts, it looks like I was the only ATT customer that had very good service through Wednesday.
    The dorm WiFi was supplied by UW-Oshkosh and to my knowledge had nothing to do directly with the EAA.

My cellular service (AT&T) was very bad at Airventure. Dropped calls, the inability to make calls, and texting not going out from my iPhone. I am growing accustom to this type of service from AT&T. Next year I will probably have a different carrier.

My friends who have Sprint didn't have any problems at all.

I have to agree with Adam also, I never received any calls whilst at Air venture or when wife "went walkabout" could even call her to attempt to catch back up, But wife's text messages did come thru mine never did till back in the dorm at University. But crickey what a job it would be to deliver no problem service when so many people were at the show, A big thanks for the attempt though.
    Would take my ipad with us daily to attempt to "Hey Way" my kids back here in Australia but never got connected at all, would always have to wait again until return to University