Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LSA/Sport Pilot Forum

LSA/Sport Pilot Forum

A while back I posted a thread asking for opinions/feedback on an LSA/Sport Pilot forum. The moderators have responded that they are willing; but, are unsure there is a need. Please review the thread under the support and feedback section and give your opinion.

I have eye strain on the issue - I just can't see the need.

As a Sport Pilot building an LSA compliant aircraft, I see absolutely no difference in the issues and topics within the EAA sphere of interests that is so different to warrant segregation.

Aerobatics and restoring vintage aircraft are specialized areas with unique circumstances, so it makes sense that they have their own forum areas as examples.

Flying VFR is common for all non-commercial pilots. Flying lighter aircraft is different only the allowances for flying, well, lighter aircraft, but that's a function of transitional training - something also true for someone going from a Champ to a C172 to a twin Bonanza.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Well said Frank!

I haven't flown an LSA, but have a lot of time in a C-150 which is not all that heavy. The lighter aircraft tend to bounce around a lot at typical low level cruise, say 2500AGL, otherwise piloting a Skyhawk or Cherokee requires the same skill set. Maybe we should have a forum for high wing pilots and another for low wing...just kidding. I guess the thought maybe to provide those of us who just fly for fun, "sport" or whatever and share the low and slow part of aviation to our own special corner. I think we have plenty of opportunity to discuss our part on this forum and again on the "Red Barn".

Joe

Most private pilots don't have experience with Rotax or others engines in light sport. They aren't particularly interested in powered parachutes or trykes, either. Light sport is very different from other parts of GA. It is a rapidly growing part of aviation with a different set of concerns. Where Light Sport and GA overlap is great. We sport pilots can learn a lot from the experiences of others without having to re-invent the wheel. We do, however, need a place to discuss things that others probably aren't interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick View Post
    A while back I posted a thread asking for opinions/feedback on an LSA/Sport Pilot forum. The moderators have responded that they are willing; but, are unsure there is a need. Please review the thread under the support and feedback section and give your opinion.
    Can't we just have a poll or something?

Chick, a few months back I got a chance to fly a Gobosh LSA, and thought to write my impressions of it. There just didn't seem to be much interest on this forum, I think I might have gotten only one comment, if any.
    New LSA's are expensive, around $130,000 and I think that just makes it outside the interests of many of the folks that write the most on here.

That's my point. Few people post about LSA's because they aren't well received here. My little kite is less than half of the Gobosh. There are many other facets of light sport besides the LSA's that people on here think about. Trykes, powered parachutes and even hot air balloons. I think that there isn't much response here because LSA's are thought of as just being lighter than normal aircraft. There is a lot more. If we can open a forum where people don't feel restrained about sport pilot/LSA's, I think it will grow and bring in an additional group of aviation nuts. It will take time for the sport pilot crowd to hear of it and try it; but, I think it is worth a try. It is a small segment of aviation right now. It is growing fast, though. We should get ahead of the curve. I think that there is so much knowledge and experience floating around these forums that it can only help to make all aviation safer. There is also things that other pilots might take from Light Sport. I may be the only one that has felt reluctant to discuss light sport on these forums; but, I believe there are others. I have made a point of trying to listen to as many of the "Old Hands" in aviation as I can. It's easier to learn from their mistakes than to have to make them on my own. I screw up enough as it is. This, respect for other aviators, makes it difficult to disagree with a lot what is said on these forums. I have time in 150's, 172's, Navions and several others of both traditional and LSA's. I know the most about Light Sport. If we can attract new people to add to these forums, while educating some of the aviation lovers already here, it can only lead to growing aviation and, hopefully make it safer for everyone. I appreciate all the feedback from everyone. Honest discussion is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick View Post
    That's my point. Few people post about LSA's because they aren't well received here. My little kite is less than half of the Gobosh. There are many other facets of light sport besides the LSA's that people on here think about. Trykes, powered parachutes and even hot air balloons. I think that there isn't much response here because LSA's are thought of as just being lighter than normal aircraft...
    Then what you want is not an "LSA" forum as such, but a forum for these different types of aircraft. On the airplane side, I don't see much difference between, say, a non-LSA C-150 and an LSA C-162. The classic airplanes that fit in the LSA category, Cub, T-Craft, etc., are still firmly within the GA world even if they can be flown by a Sport Pilot, as are the new crop of overpriced plastic planes from Europe.

The other types of aircraft you mention, PPCs, Trikes, the "ultralight like" LSAs like 2-seat Quicksilvers, etc., even though they have N-numbers, they're much more in the ultralight world than the GA (and EAA!) world... and there's a wide (and not entirely unjustified) perception in the ultralight world that EAA betrayed them... witness the low level of activity in the ultralight forum here; there are already large active forums for these types of aircraft elsewhere.

New LSA's are expensive, around $130,000 and I think that just makes it outside the interests of many of the folks that write the most on here.
    You are correct in that regard. If I'm going to spend $130,000 on an aircraft, I'd like to be able to go faster in a stiff headwind than I do on the interstate, take more than one person with me, be able to pack our dive gear and not be hampered by marginal weather. If I want to poke around at 120 knots or less, I'll go borrow my friend's ultralight.

Few people post about LSA's because they aren't well received here.
    Based upon what? Do you mean "here" as in the USA or with regards to this forum? Most of the most frequent posters here are current or former LSA or ultralight pilots, myself included. You should see how well received discussion about high-performance non-warbird aircraft are received. Remember, we're what's wrong with the EAA.

Splitting off a separate sub-forum for those sorts of flying isn't going to make them any more "well received". If anything, it's a way for those who don't know or don't care to know about them to ignore them all the more readily.

I think that there isn't much response here because LSA's are thought of as just being lighter than normal aircraft.
    By definition, technically that is what they are. Can a sport pilot fly a hot-air balloon? I don't recall that being allowable (but then again I haven't checked) so if they can't then they aren't an LSA. Especially when you figure that a fully inflated hot air balloon (counting the air) weighs about two to two and a half tons.....not exactly an LSA even though the ground weight of 800-1000 lbs is within the LSA standard.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Just a quick reply, as I have to go. Yes, there are light sport hot air balloons. The aircraft can only carry the pilot plus one passenger, and it cannot have a gross lift of more than 1,320lbs., which is much more than adequate for small hot-air balloons. Anyway, off to work.