Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polarized Sunglasses

Quote Originally Posted by Rootski View Post
    If your head is more less in normal viewing angle to an LCD it's not often a factor- its only when you twist your head past 45 degrees or so that it starts getting unreadable... and why would you?
    Because iPads can be oriented 'portrait' or 'landscape' depending on which fits your yoke or cockpit the best. In 'portrait' orientation, the screen is unreadable with polorized sunglasses. You would know 'portrait' is the best fit over my yoke. Fortunately my prescription glasses have transition lens that are not polorized.
    Last edited by MickYoumans; 07-01-2012 at 08:16 PM.

Mick, Useful comment. I use an iPad 2 and am just now transitioning to a Chief where its' mounting may be either Yoke or "other". I have been using it in a Cherokee recently and found little difference between Portrait or Landscape views insofar as sunglasses impact (granted mine are simply dime store clip-ons). My Optometrist is offering a loan of various polarized glasses for me to try out but says his pilot customers to date have come back to finally select some ordinary glare reduction format as most suitable fo flying. Which genation of iPad are you using ?

iPad 2 running WingX with Synth Vision

Yeah I don't buy the "glare" makes it easy to see the aircraft either. It's just not true. The ability to spot another aircraft is contrast.

I'll second the recommendation for the classic Ray-Bans with the neutral gray/green lenses. No polarization to interfere, and the real glass (not plastic) lenses resist scratching.

Quote Originally Posted by MickYoumans View Post
    Because iPads can be oriented 'portrait' or 'landscape' depending on which fits your yoke or cockpit the best. In 'portrait' orientation, the screen is unreadable with polorized sunglasses. You would know 'portrait' is the best fit over my yoke. Fortunately my prescription glasses have transition lens that are not polorized.
    Interesting. I have no experience flying with an iPad, but my iPhone 3GS used to blank out totally with polarized lenses in landscape mode, but my iPhone 4S doesn't- it only slightly dims. It might change the same way depending on which iPad generation you're running. But all that matters here for any pilot is what works for them.

Either my displays in the aircraft or my glasses are polarized on a 45. If I tilt my head to the left the screens get brighter, if I tilt them to the right they get black. I pretty much can read them fine with my head vertical..

Rumor has it that non-polarized glasses are standard issue for USAF aircrews because of glare. For those about to go flying by fitting an IPad in your cockpit it was an IPad that made me question polarized sunglasses. I noted that looking directly at an IPad and then putting on Polarized sunglasses makes the IPad look like it is turned off.