Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe to fly with fireworks??

Safe to fly with fireworks??

Short story:

Wife purchased a big bunch of fireworks.
    Wife is now concerned about flying home with them.

To calm her fears, I said I would ask my "Internet airplane buddies."

So, is there any reason fireworks would pose a threat to me or my Mooney?

Nothing technical comes to mind, but keep in mind the legalities. Will they be legal at the places you make fuel stops? If someone looks in the window and sees them, they might be a problem.

Back in the 90s, my brother-in-law was due for custody of kids from a previous marriage. The ex put them on an airliner and sent them to him, unaccompanied. When they got off, they had to excitedly show their dad the bag of fireworks that mom had given them as carry-on baggage....

Ron Wanttaja

Banned
    Only if you light them up enroute!

As Ron implied, they are strictly verboten on air carriers. I was looking in the regs and I haven't found a specific reg to cite, but they are Class 1 Explosives. Would you haul dynamite?
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

I am not worried about legality type things. We are making a routine flight from one familiar airport to another familiar airport with no fuel stops. I've traveled previously with hunting rifles, so I expect no problem.

My wife was concerned that at altitude, under lower pressure, the fireworks would somehow ignite themselves.

I am just posting here to calm her fears and make sure there's not something important I am overlooking.

I used to regularly fly with pyrotechnics as I did night air shows. No special precautions required. Leave them in their original packaging.

The DOT regulations are for "common carriers" and do not apply here. Don't stop at an air carrier airport and take them out of the airplane. From one GA airport to another you should be fine.

The local Fire Marshall, depending on where you are, only has jurisdiction once you take them out of the aircraft.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    The local Fire Marshall, depending on where you are, only has jurisdiction once you take them out of the aircraft.
    ...or the local police. Some places have criminal statutes against fireworks. Came home one day to find a police report on the kitchen counter regarding my son and fireworks....

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Came home one day to find a police report on the kitchen counter regarding my son and fireworks....
    Who can run faster, you or him?

Kinda reminds me of what my ex-brother in law told my niece and nephew and I've told my kids. If they smoke or do drugs they won't have to worry about those things killing them, their Mom and I will take care of that!
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

IF you were an air carrier, you would need the shipper (you) to complete the form with the red & white border that notifies the crew (also you) or truck driver or ship's Master that you are shipping Hazmat. The material must be packed with the detonators (matches) separate from the "explosives." The material must be LABELED so that the cargo handler (you) can I.D. it. It should be packaged so that it is reasonably protected. Not a supermarket plastic bag. I suggest a Tupperware bin. The Hazmat paperwork will be turned in to the carrier's management (your wife) after the flight is complete. The reference is 49 Code of Fed Regs. It is a green soft covered book about the size of the AFD. It is titled Transportation of Hazardous Material, CFR 49.A DOT reg. Any trucker should have one. Don't start reading it unless you have lots of time. Somewhere along the Gulf coast, a part 135 helicopter on any day departs for a rig in the Gulf with a load of passengers riding with enough high explosives to take out an M1 tank. The crew will be in substantial compliance with the above guidance. Its done every day. Its mostly paperwork. Have a happy fourth.
    Bob

I forgot to mention that I don't think part 91 operators need to comply with the paperwork/labeling.