Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help - we need your ideas!

Hal,
    My son (now 15) and I have made the trip to OSH with the Bonanzas to Oshkosh group for the past four years. The manner in which this group honors the kids is very special. They truly understand that these kids are the future of B2OSH. My son is already talking about flying grandpa's F33 to Osh in future years. This trip is the highlight of his summer. Bailey has friends that he only sees for 4-5 days a year. The fellowship with these kids and airplanes (duh) is what makes Airventure special for him. I believe an area where teenagers could come together to hang out, fly sims, signup for Young Eagle flights, listen to music, play video games and meet kids from around the country would be well attended. The friendships that would be made could last lifetimes. The idea of indoor RC is nice as well. This is one aspect of RC (indoor flying) that we have yet to experience. Thank you for your commitment to the future of aviation!!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by arbroker View Post
    in an absolutely safe vehicle
    There is no such thing. Nothing is absolutely safe.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

I agree with the other posts here about getting these young people in planes, but I have one basic suggestion in response to your original question about making the "experience" better (the whole experience - not just direct exposure to planes and plane people). Connectivity - this age group absolutely lives, socializes, and communicates through their mobile devices. It may sound trivial, but for my son who started attending at age 16, being a full week with minimal connectivity was an issue. Fortunately he really loves airplanes, so he dealt with it, but I assure you his experience, and how much he shares it with others his age, would be greatly enhanced with better connectivity across the grounds. It was much better last year, but still marginal compared to what many of this age group are used to.

I know this is a day late and a dollar short, but would it not be in Avaitons interest to have a "show and tell" in the tower? We all love to fly, or we would not be excited about AirVenture at all, but what about showing what actually is involved from the control towers, ground, Center and things of that nature points of view. We all have horror stories of some type of incident from our friends in the tower or at ground control or even center! lets let the kids see exactly why so they will become BETTER pilots or even go into that field (who says you cant fly and work in the tower/ground/center)

Quote Originally Posted by malexander View Post
    I'll get my 17 yr old daughter & her boyfriend to chime in here later (they're still at school now). I'll just let them tell you what they would like.

Hello, my name is Trenton. I am 18 years old and have been going with malexander and his family for three years now. I think it would be cool to have an area for older teens to hang out, fly some simulators; ie 172, 150, etc. (something realistic for a student), and meet other kids our age with a passion to fly. Personally, every year I go I would like to fly the simulators in the hangers, but a majority won't let you do that if you are not a licensed pilot. To have an area where we could do that and get instruction on how to fly would be awesome.
    Also an inside look of the world's busiest control tower would be cool. We all can hear it on the hand held, but getting to experience it would be insightful.
    And lastly (for now) maybe a behind the scenes look of how the airshow itself works, like hearing from the air boss, the brefing, and things of the such would be nice.

Well if you figure out a way to get more 13-18 year old girls to come, I'm sure that would take care of the 13-18 year old boy.
    My 15 yo son found a same aged girl the first day he hit the show and we hardly saw him for the duration!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Well if you figure out a way to get more 13-18 year old girls to come, I'm sure that would take care of the 13-18 year old boy.
    My 15 yo son found a same aged girl the first day he hit the show and we hardly saw him for the duration!

That's one of the reasons Trenton goes with us (my daughter). Hal asked what the teens would like, so I had him chime in. I've been going to OSH for the past 10 years. I see "kids" of all ages.......girls included.

An "inside" view of AirVenture

Quote Originally Posted by malexander View Post
    An inside look of the world's busiest control tower would be cool. We all can hear it on the hand held, but getting to experience it would be insightful.
    And lastly (for now) maybe a behind the scenes look of how the airshow itself works, like hearing from the air boss, the brefing, and things of the such would be nice.
    Trenton, there is a great way to be on the "inside" of the show and also meet others your age: volunteer. At Flight Line Operations, young people aged 16 and up can work on crews parking aircraft in the North Forty. Crews are briefed before each shift and work together as teams. Volunteers who are 18 can assist with directing traffic on the Oshkosh taxiways. The Vintage and Custom Parking areas have similar volunteer opportunities. This is a great way to find new friends and be part of making the event happen.

Hal, is there a centrally located tent just for teenagers? If not, perhaps there should be. No adults inside or very few just outside. Maybe some free bottled water or lemonade, or even snack, plenty of chairs. And a real restroom would be very popular with girls of all ages. Maybe a few tvs that show some of the happenings at several prime spots on the airport.
    Of course where to have the tent is a question. maybe they even need two , one near warbirds and the north and one down south by the shops or classic/antiques/acro.
    I think this very important, right up there with having the kids be able to fly.

One nice thing about Oshkosh, is unlike so many places in todays dirty world, a parent doesn't reallyhave to worry about the safety of a kid at EAA once they are 13 or 14.You can give em about $10-15 , a hat and sunglasses, ( yes they need both, just like adults) cautiion them not to go on active taxiways or near turning props, and how to get around and where and when to meet you and they can have as much free time as they need.

"Sawdust" suggest connectivety, whatever that is, but I hope kids would be more interested in airplanes than cell phones and Ipads. Maybe it does help if they can call each other on their cell phone, not my cup of tea ,but I know some people who think you can't live without them.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 05-30-2012 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Hal, is there a centrally located tent just for teenagers? If not, perhaps there should be. No adults inside or very few just outside. Maybe some free bottled water or lemonade, or even snack, plenty of chairs. And a real restroom would be very popular with girls of all ages. Maybe a few tvs that show some of the happenings at several prime spots on the airport.
    Of course where to have the tent is a question. maybe they even need two , one near warbirds and the north and one down south by the shops or classic/antiques/acro.
    I think this very important, right up there with having the kids be able to fly.

One nice thing about Oshkosh, is unlike so many places in todays dirty world, a parent doesn't reallyhave to worry about the safety of a kid at EAA once they are 13 or 14.You can give em about $10-15 , a hat and sunglasses, ( yes they need both, just like adults) cautiion them not to go on active taxiways or near turning props, and how to get around and where and when to meet you and they can have as much free time as they need.

"Sawdust" suggest connectivety, whatever that is, but I hope kids would be more interested in airplanes than cell phones and Ipads. Maybe it does help if they can call each other on their cell phone, not my cup of tea ,but I know some people who think you can't live without them.
    This is why my son loves the trip to Osh every summer. I have been turning him loose since he was 11-12. So much freedom and the relationships he has made with the other B2OSH kids. This idea of a tent for teenagers to hang out is great. The relationships that are started at Airventure will last a lifetime. Kinda llike a fraternity (or sorority). Please let us parents know what we can do to support your efforts.