Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help - we need your ideas!

When I take my Waco's to events I do this and you wouldn't believe how many pics of kids in the pilot seat holding the yoke or stick with a headset on are posted to Facebook in an afternoon.
    I'm 31 years old and I'd line up for that opportunity. Wacos are one of the most beautiful planes ever built hands down. Unfortunately we got news this past weekend that Oshkosh is out of the question for us this year as one of my fiancee's cousins is getting married during the time we would be out of town.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Bill,

I have asked Horizon Hobby and the local RC clubs to rent a gym, of which there are at least three, across from Taylor Hall in Kolf Sports Center. This would be perfect for evening flights without concerns for weather and nasty flying bugs. As many people stay in this dorm area and as transportation to and from this area is easy, why doesn't this happen?

I guess Jim and I will have to start a program of letting kids in historic aircraft while others put on RC activities in a rented gym.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    Unfortunately we got news this past weekend that Oshkosh is out of the question for us this year as one of my fiancee's cousins is getting married during the time we would be out of town.
    Obviously they're very insensitive to the priorities involved here. ;-)

I missed my brother-in-law's 3rd wedding for AirVenture. He told me to go for it - it wasn't like it was his first time or anything...

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Obviously they're very insensitive to the priorities involved here.
    Eh, I don't think the bride and groom would notice we weren't there. As my fiancee puts it "I wouldn't know my cousin if she walked up to me on the street". My soon-to-be mother-in-law on the other hand is demanding our presence....something about family needing to stick together, blah, blah, blah.

I missed my brother-in-law's 3rd wedding for AirVenture. He told me to go for it - it wasn't like it was his first time or anything...
    I missed Oshkosh for three years because of my girlfriend who later became my ex-wife. The month before the wedding she told me if I went to that year's festivities she would be gone by the time I got back. I should have attended because I ended up moving out of our apartment approximately three months after the wedding because of the way I was being treated.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Rick,

Indoor model activity is good. But I was suggesting outdoor flying with foam models, to get more crowd interaction.
    Bill

Bill,

There is so much to do during the day at AirVenture, that evening activities could be enhanced by letting RC enthusiasts fly in a local gym. I have taken my Vapor and other small RC birds to Oshkosh for the past four years. I fly the Vapor outside and then in the lobby of Taylor when the night bugs come out to attack.

Many kids and older pilots would enjoy flying RC or just watching if given the opportunity. Evening RC events might attract large crowds at a time when the field is quite.

As Horizon AS3X technology evolves, it may be easier to fly smaller foam aircraft outside will less risks to the public in crowded environments.

Yes, RC aircraft is fun to watch and fly both inside and outside. Just be careful of those larger UAVs.

It is not Radio Control, but EAA does or at least did have a really good model flying program. They have gasoline powered line control models flying right behind the museum out on the grass at Pioneer Airport. Kids just walk up and get in line at the table, and when it is their turn they get to fly the model for a few minutes dual with an instructor, and I think it is free.

I would really like to try R C flying with one of the dual control boxes, myself.

By the way, I have 2 brand new in the box, never flown or even run, Cox .049 Mustang and Spitfire. I have flown a simple line control Cub myself, but I don't really want to try these and risk wrecking them. I have been told they are very fast and not sure if I am up to spinning around that many times that quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    It is not Radio Control, but EAA does or at least did have a really good model flying program. They have gasoline powered line control models flying right behind the museum out on the grass at Pioneer Airport. Kids just walk up and get in line at the table, and when it is their turn they get to fly the model for a few minutes dual with an instructor, and I think it is free.

I would really like to try R C flying with one of the dual control boxes, myself.

By the way, I have 2 brand new in the box, never flown or even run, Cox .049 Mustang and Spitfire. I have flown a simple line control Cub myself, but I don't really want to try these and risk wrecking them. I have been told they are very fast and not sure if I am up to spinning around that many times that quickly.

If these are original, old Cox airplanes, hang onto them, they're probably collectors items.
    I've flown lots of C/L & still fly R/C. Lots of fun. You'd be surprised at how flying R/C and being a pilot, you can relate one to the other when you're flying either one. I hope all this made sense.

A good resource would be the Air Academy campers coming in next month. I'm sure they could give you guys a ton of ideas on things they'd like to see/do.

vtol, easy, cheap and safe - www.tsvls.net

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    In thinking about the young people that come to Oshkosh, we're looking for suggestions: What can we do to improve the AirVenture experience for teens, say ages 13-18?
    Kids will go nuts over the thought of taking off from their driveway, flying just above the trees, under 50 mph, in an absolutely safe vehicle. Take a look at my site and let me know if I can help.