Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friends of synergy

Thumbs Up Friends of synergy

The Kickstarter project was declined. Synergy is taking it to the people. It worked for Rutan 25 years ago - with EAA.
    See: www.n17hh.net/Synergy
    Tell everyone you know.
    Thanks.

Rutan was a lot more talented, as history has proven. And he provided value, plans for flight tested and time proven designs, for the money he received to fund his research.
    What makes you think he asked for donations?
    They did for special projects like Voyager but that was from vendors who saw the value of being associated with the project.
    Last edited by flyingriki; 04-29-2012 at 08:36 PM.

That's a little bit harsh, flyingriki. If one of our members wants to ask for donations to help support a new project, why should that be discouraged? Far more fortunes have been lost than won in experimental aviation, so if a little guy wants to ask for a hand, why not?

Howard, I am curious, what reason did Kickstarter give for denying the use of their site?
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Long View Post
    That's a little bit harsh, flyingriki. If one of our members wants to ask for donations to help support a new project, why should that be discouraged? Far more fortunes have been lost than won in experimental aviation, so if a little guy wants to ask for a hand, why not?

Howard, I am curious, what reason did Kickstarter give for denying the use of their site?
    I'm sorry, but I don't know. I saw that you asked John. He may reply. I'm only the volunteer help here!
    Thanks for your support. I hope to see you at Airventure2012.

Their entire first response: "Thank you for taking the time to submit your project. Unfortunately, this isn't the right fit for Kickstarter. We receive many projects daily and review them all with great care and appreciation. We wish you the best of luck as you continue to pursue your endeavor."

We were allowed 500 typed characters in which to make an appeal.

Their entire second response: "We have reviewed your appeal and determined that your project is not the best fit for Kickstarter, as it does not fit our creative arts focus. This project can no longer be submitted to Kickstarter. You can, however, always submit a different project."

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...token=b1927e6d

Since this heartbreaking news (we've been stalled since January and there's a lot of work involved), Mike Jassman, Fred Stephens, Harold Fink, William Li, Terry Peterson, Larry Rhoades, Carrie McFerron, Daniel Findling, Ronnie Basso, Hal Bryan, John Ervin, Tom Woodruff , Edward Gallagher, Contact Magazine, Chris Woodard, Glenn Chung, Richard Johnson, John Kazickas, Christopher McGeary, Robert Pickell, and Robert Uhl have contributed $5335, and with this new Friends of Synergy campaign Howard Handelman has pledged 25% matching funds for the first $4000 raised (from contributions over $100). We are extremely grateful for the support.

Please bear in mind that it will take a dozen more eyeballs looking it over (for every person who sees it early) before this lives up to its potential. Distributing Howard's link far outside our limited network is key. (Our Kickstarter minimum goal was $65,000 in 21 days).

Just a comment to clarify: I've never been without other options, but things like this are too often exploited for their 'sizzle' with no intention of ever serving steak. We want the basis for a well-capitalized, real business able to deliver the goods, not just another multi-million-dollar 'press release generator,' before its corporate life begins. Synergy is my Vari Viggen, and there is much more where this came from.

My heartfelt thanks to all
    who are helping to preserve and deliver that future opportunity. -John McGinnis
    Last edited by John McGinnis; 05-11-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Correcting Rutan / Voyager history

Quote Originally Posted by flyingriki View Post
    Rutan was a lot more talented, as history has proven. And he provided value, plans for flight tested and time proven designs, for the money he received to fund his research.
    What makes you think he asked for donations?
    They did for special projects like Voyager but that was from vendors who saw the value of being associated with the project.
    http://www.centennialofflight.gov/es...rutan/EX32.htm
    "..With the help of an eager group of volunteers, they began building the Voyager the next year. Notably, the entire project relied solely on private funds and donations. "

http://www.eaa.org/news/2011/2011-12-22_voyager.asp
    "Doug Shane:
    “It was a grassroots effort without corporate sponsorship. There were a lot experts and a lot of great, hard-working people from all over the country that put in their own time to make it happen. It inspired people to make those sacrifices. That to me was the greatest part of the accomplishment.”

"Jack Textor · Des Moines, IowaWhat an accomplishment! With a small donation, my name flew around the world with them in their logbook. I will never forget the arrival and landing!.."

If you were at the invitation-only 25 year anniversary presentation at the EAA Museum last July-August you would have heard the Rutans and John Roncz talk about this at length. They came to OSH in a barely flyable airplane and asked for small donations to complete the project.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Handelman View Post
    They came to OSH in a barely flyable airplane and asked for small donations to complete the project.
    Mojave to Oshkosh is more than "barely flyable"...but your bias is clear. And it wasn't a money making venture in the first place.

I really don't like to argue, but if you had been at the presentation and heard what the 3 of them said, then "barely flyable" would have passed muster with you, too. It's not my opinion, it's a summary of a number of significant issues that existed with that airplane for that flight. My bias is certainly obvious. That said, I like to stick to facts and avoid comments on the other guy's state of mind.

You are correct that Synergy is intended to be a profit making venture at some point. It's equally true that Rutan made a decent living eventually with Scaled Composites. That was not without the prestige of the Voyager flight. If John McGinnis ever makes money on Synergy it will be after succeeding at making an extremely significant contribution to aviation. It's up to the individual reader to decide if he or she wants to help make that happen. I'll put you down for a "no", OK?

My donation has more than paid for itself.

I think of the Synergy project as innovation by proxy. John is doing something I wish I was (or wish I had the ability to) with the Synergy project, and he has shared some knowledge to boot!

Go Synergy!

Howard;
    Thanks for standing up to help the Synergy project and put this HandProp project together. I don't think we have to compare John to Burt. They are both great aeronautical engineers. I would hope that the members of EAA would support John as they did Burt back in the 70/80s. When he has his first flight, we will all be in aye of his expertise and how amateur built aviation has again rasied the bar on what is possible in aviation. I hope all EAA members will contribute to Synergy and lets get him to first flight.