Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New iPad iPhone efis app

Quote Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
    Please post a review after you try it out. They have no reviews on it at the app store..thx
    Actually we have four reviews, all 5-stars, but no 'Rating' yet (not enough reviews). You can see the latest review on the iTunes website (click the App Store link on our website), but to see the old ones (older than the latest version) you have to use the iTunes app itself on your computer and select 'All Versions' down in the review section, or go to the App Store on your device (click the right arrow down below the screenshots where it says, 'No Ratings'). Actually that latest review is an update from an earlier reviewer (full disclosure).

Ted
    http://logical-drive.com/pockethorizon/

Thank you...I purchased the app today

Flew with it this morning..On the Iphone 4S it worked fairly well with no additional gps input even mounted at a slight angle under the glareshield. Tried it out on the Ipad which is panel mounted and GPS/ADSB is driven by Skyradar via wifi. Unfortunately it did not recognize the skyradar gps so I couldn't use it. Also it seemed to prefer a portrait mounting position over landscape.
    Bottom line is that it's only $8.99 and actually worked on the Iphone. It's a nice screen and I'd bet it would work very well on an Ipad with one of the external GPS units. It's worth it.

Flew with it this morning..On the Iphone 4S it worked fairly well with no additional gps input even mounted at a slight angle under the glareshield. Tried it out on the Ipad which is panel mounted and GPS/ADSB is driven by Skyradar via wifi. Unfortunately it did not recognize the skyradar gps so I couldn't use it. Also it seemed to prefer a portrait mounting position over landscape.
    Bottom line is that it's only $8.99 and actually worked on the Iphone. It's a nice screen and I'd bet it would work very well on an Ipad with one of the external GPS units. It's worth it.
    Thanks for the purchase, and for your comments. Yes, the issue with SkyRadar is that its GPS only works with apps that specifically connect to it using its special protocol; it's not like other external GPS units that connect directly to the Apple device, which then provides GPS info to any and all apps that need it. As it turns out, we're currently working with a SkyRadar unit for acquiring weather in a future app. Since you've commented that you'd like to use the GPS from a SkyRadar we're going to look into that, and see if we can go ahead and connect to it now for just GPS info (since PocketHorizon doesn't need weather). So, thanks for the (indirect) suggestion.

As for preferring Portrait mode over Landscape, I assume you mean that all the settings screens and alert messages are Portrait-only. It operates fine in Landscape mode, but if we don't change those other screens and especially alerts to Landscape mode then you get more screen real estate in Landscape (the status bar stays on the left, allowing the horizon marks and symbols themselves to be larger). It's all intentional.

Ted

Can anyone recommend a panel mount for an iPhone 4? Not a suction mount, I'm looking for something that will mount it flush to the panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Burtles View Post
    Can anyone recommend a panel mount for an iPhone 4? Not a suction mount, I'm looking for something that will mount it flush to the panel.
    I talked with AirGizmos at Oshkosh about an iPhone panel mount like their Garmin 496 mount, and they said they tried an iPod mount a few years ago but Apple changes its designs so often that they can't justify the tooling cost of keeping up, considering the number of sales they might get. So, don't look for one from them any time soon. If you really want something and you're handy with tools you could probably make it from RAM parts. They (and others) have holders for various iOS devices that could probably be mounted with modification, allowing removal of the device as desired.

Ted

Most folks are loathe to do this BUT I put a piece of velcro on the back of my 4S and I stick it to the panel. I also have a flat mount with velcro on my motorcycle. It really makes life easy, just don't cover the camera lens.
    Also, TedC, thx for looking into the Skyradar gps issue.

SkyRadar GPS and PocketHorizon

Also, TedC, thx for looking into the Skyradar gps issue.
    Update: We have now fully tested the SkyRadar GPS with PocketHorizon, but it's not going to work for us. Here's the main problem: SkyRadar uses the standard ADS-B data protocol "GDL90", which specifies altitude in increments of 25 feet, with no way to show changes any smaller than that. This is WAY too coarse for the needs of PocketHorizon, and ends up making Pitch jump up and down constantly during a climb. So, unfortunately, SkyRadar isn't going to be supported as a GPS source. We haven't yet tested any other ADS-B GPS's, but if they use GDL90, as most do, they'll have the same problem. Sorry.

Ted Cannaday
    http://logical-drive.com

Does the app have the general information found on it like airspeed, altitude, heading.. ect?