Thread: New iPad iPhone efis app

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New iPad iPhone efis app

This is amazing! $8.99 for this app is an incredible buy what a great safety backup. I can't wait to try it out tomorrow in the air and see how well it actualy functions. I will try to report back on it.http://logical-drive.com/pockethorizon/

Reading their FAQ page I have my doubts. Frankly, I've had some other ones of these and trying to hand hold the iPhone and get something useful out of the accelerometers to drive a AI-like display is next to impossible. They grease around this by using the GPS to catch turns as well. The statement that it doesn't agree with "other gyro instruments" in the plane and fails to work on the ground, really make me think it is little more a simulation of what an AI might display.

You probably would do better with just learning to properly fly partial panel (possibly augmented by the standard apple compass app).

The website is very clear that you must have a way of mounting the unit to the panel for it to function properly. While everyone that flys IMC should practice partial panel I believe this is a viable way to keep the right side up if the chips are down. Partial panel is a secondary option but I for one prefer to have another artificial horizon.

So buy a secondary AI, or a rate based autopilot from a separtely derived power source, or get one of the accellerometer boxes that is specifically designed for this. I'm not sure that a device that "displays different indications than normal aircraft gyros" is going to be real reliable especially in an unusual attitude. For what it's worth, you can just zoom up your GPS and follow the purple line pretty well partial panel as well.

Well, I guess we just disagree. This is a $9.00option that is a very simple insurance policy for an emergency situation. Of course there are many alternatives to it, some much more expensive and better. That is not the point. This is one option that I think is a very inexpensive option that I welcome into my cockpit for a little added security.

Thanks Todd for posting. I just downloaded this and it looks promising. Didn't cost much more than one gallon of 100LL

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Reading their FAQ page I have my doubts. Frankly, I've had some other ones of these and trying to hand hold the iPhone and get something useful out of the accelerometers to drive a AI-like display is next to impossible. They grease around this by using the GPS to catch turns as well. The statement that it doesn't agree with "other gyro instruments" in the plane and fails to work on the ground, really make me think it is little more a simulation of what an AI might display.
    So buy a secondary AI, or a rate based autopilot from a separtely derived power source, or get one of the accellerometer boxes that is specifically designed for this. I'm not sure that a device that "displays different indications than normal aircraft gyros" is going to be real reliable especially in an unusual attitude. For what it's worth, you can just zoom up your GPS and follow the purple line pretty well partial panel as well.
    Hello Ron,

We're the makers of the PocketHorizon app, and I just wanted to point out a couple of things I believe you misunderstood after reading our website, or things we didn't make clear.

- PocketHorizon does not use the accelerometer for anything; it's all the Gyro and GPS. GPS is used to constantly calibrate the Gyro system, as well as provide the full calculated attitude in non-Gyro devices. In either case the attitude is very accurate and consistent.
    - We've tried the 'other ones', too, and in our experience they simple don't work, and in fact would be considered dangerous if it wasn't so immediately obvious that they don't work. That's why we created a real artificial horizon app that really works. I assure you it's not a simulation.
    - When we say it doesn't exactly agree with other gyro instruments we're simply acknowledging that the attitude information is derived in a different way (using a combination of gyro and calculations from GPS) and while this will obviously not perfectly match an old-fashioned Attitude Indicator (which has its own imperfections in attitude), it gets the stated job done - helping you keep the shiny side up.
    - As for unusual attitudes, we clearly state in many places on the web (and now in the app's Help as well) that it's not for aerobatics, mainly because it won't work if you're upside down. That's just a limitation of our technology; if it's a problem for you, you don't want our app. But if you want an app that does what it says it does, for way less money than buying a 'rate based autopilot from a separately derived power source' that you suggest, we recommend giving PocketHorizon a try!

Thanks for listening--
    Ted Cannaday
    President
    Logical Drive Inc.

Thanks for clearing that up Ted, I just bought the app and can't wait to try it.