Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 Place with the MOST baggage space/useful load?

2 Place with the MOST baggage space/useful load?

As the title states, what's the best options out there for a 2 (could be 4, but I think the budget puts a hamper on that) place experimental with a lot of space for baggage? (Think broken down bicycle, ski tube, etc)

Top end of the budget $50k

Project or flying? If you are open to a project, it's hard to beat the glastar for your stated needs. You could easily finish a second hand kit and have a nice airplane for under fifty thousand. If you want one already flying for that you wouldn't find a very nice one. It would fit your criteria though.Todd

flying, or close to flying. Needing to be finished would work. I can't seem to find many specs on the glastar.

http://www.glasairaviation.com/. You can find specs and links on their website to learn more about the glastar. The current version, the sportsman would also fill the bill for you but it will definitely be out of your budget range. Good luck in the hunt.

A Murphy Rebel is probably pretty high up there too. Very utilitarian airplane. I have checked out the Rebel when deciding what kit to build, and have helped build a Super Rebel, and they seem to be fine planes.

http://www.pattersonaerosales.com/Ai...bel/Rebel.html
    Last edited by Flyfalcons; 04-28-2012 at 09:59 AM.
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction

Quote Originally Posted by uavmx View Post
    As the title states, what's the best options out there for a 2 (could be 4, but I think the budget puts a hamper on that) place experimental with a lot of space for baggage? (Think broken down bicycle, ski tube, etc)

Top end of the budget $50k
    there's a flying BD-4 on barnstormers asking price $35k. take out the two back seats.

My vote if you want something reliable, go for a Murphy. I have no personal experience with them but I have never heard a single complaint about them and given how much pilots like to gripe, that should tell you something.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Prairie Cottage Airport, 8KS8, Chapman KS
    Are you looking for experimental because you want to build or are you looking to purchase a flying airplane? If you want to go flying I would recommend a Piper Pacer or TriPacer. Certified as 4 place but when you remove the back seat, which is designed to come out, you've got a 2 place with plenty of baggage easily accessed. You can buy nice examples under 30k.
    Jim Clark, Chairman National Biplane Fly In, www.nationalbiplaneflyin.com. Currently flying: 1929 Waco CSO, 1939 Waco EGC-8, 1946 Piper J-3, 1955 Piper PA22/20, 1956 Beech G35, 1984 Beech A36 & 2001 Vans RV9.
    You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, nor any before nor any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane, and men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others.
    - Ernest Hemingway

BD-4's seem to fit the bill nicely. 3 place aircraft, plenty of space, especially if you take the seat out....not a bad choic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
    Are you looking for experimental because you want to build or are you looking to purchase a flying airplane? If you want to go flying I would recommend a Piper Pacer or TriPacer. Certified as 4 place but when you remove the back seat, which is designed to come out, you've got a 2 place with plenty of baggage easily accessed. You can buy nice examples under 30k.
    Want an experimental to enjoy the more lax rules, save some $ vs certified and have a full blown EFIS for a reasonable cost. Not against finishing a project, or buying one flying. Already have a G35 Bonanza, so looking to down size a bit on cost, mx costs, and get an EFIS.

Want an experimental to enjoy the more lax rules
    In what sense?
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.