Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 Place with the MOST baggage space/useful load?

I think he's talking about modifications like changing the panel (going from steam gauges to glass), engine, etc. Assuming it's not E-LSA, of course.

If one builds it, the repairman certificate is worth a lot of money! One can repair stuff on one's own and sign off on it, such as fabric, replacing a windshield, and the annuals.

The standards aren't any more lax - best practices and AD's* still apply - but one can do them on one's own schedule! And major modifications will push one back to Phase I testing, of course, but that's part of the normal process and clearly defined.

Similarly, running an engine past TBO that is still sound (compression, etc.) is much easier, as one doesn't have to fuss with an A&P at annual time.

I write that knowing that I'll be on very good terms with our local A&P for help and assistance as well as a second, well trained set of eyes to keep me honest on airworthiness.

* While it's true that Experimentals can for the most part ignore AD's, it's not a good idea.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

in the sense of configuration....mostly the avionics. A little more freedom to set up the aircraft how you want it. I'm an A&P/IA so the MX costs aren't much of a concern, although there would be some opportunities to use "cheaper" non certified parts.

Quote Originally Posted by uavmx View Post
    in the sense of configuration....mostly the avionics. A little more freedom to set up the aircraft how you want it. I'm an A&P/IA so the MX costs aren't much of a concern, although there would be some opportunities to use "cheaper" non certified parts.
    Ah...that's what I figured. I am trying to find a way to get my A&P.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    If one builds it, the repairman certificate is worth a lot of money! One can repair stuff on one's own and sign off on it, such as fabric, replacing a windshield, and the annuals.
    Frank,
    Your posting appears unclear to me. Homebuilt maintenance is open to ANYONE, no cert. required. The RC for E-AB ONLY allows the holder to sign for the condition inspection on the airplane. That's it. Anyone could be doing the modifications, repairs, maintenance, etc.

So if uavmx buys an already-flying homebuilt - they can do the modifications, repairs, maintenance all on their own. But they either need to be A&P themselves, or get one to look it over 1x / year and sign for a "condition inspection". (And consult the ops lims for what mods are reportable to the FSDO.)
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post

The "annual" that you're talking about is a yearly conditional inspection. Which has to be signed off by an A&P. Can the conditional inspection be signed off with a repairmen cert??

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    Ah...that's what I figured. I am trying to find a way to get my A&P.
    Yeah, it's not easy, there's no way around the amount of time is required to get it. Gotta put your time in. Best bet is just find a junior college that has a program and sign up, it will take you two years.

Yeah, it's not easy, there's no way around the amount of time is required to get it. Gotta put your time in. Best bet is just find a junior college that has a program and sign up, it will take you two years.
    I'll be doing that this fall. I hope I can survive working full time and then going to class for 6 hours 5 days a week for two years...

Can the conditional inspection be signed off with a repairmen cert??
    Yes, but only by the holder of the repairman's cert for that particular airframe which will be the original bulder, or in the case of a group build whomever the group decides to nominate to apply for the cert (there can only be one cert issued per airframe). Since E-AB repairmen cert's are only vaild for one specific airframe, a holder can't sign off on his friend's plane even if it's the same make or model. If you bought it flying from someone, the condition inspection has to be performed by an A&P (note IA not required) or the holder of the repairman's cert if they are willing to do it (doubtful).
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gonitzke View Post
    I'll be doing that this fall. I hope I can survive working full time and then going to class for 6 hours 5 days a week for two years...
    Yeah, I was working nearly full time (by the time you figure how much time I spent commuting, 45 mins between school and work) I was pretty much doing full time and school for two years. Not easy, caused some health issues, but got through it.

Even though I'm not sure I will be working as an A&P forever, it's still nice to know I have it, it doesn't expire and I will always be able to own an aircraft for cheap.

two place with most luggage space

I fly a Glastar and i belive it fits this need perfictly. 125 knots,8 galons per hour,and great visability to boot. At a value of $50,000, its a winner

I'm with those who recommended the Murphy Rebel. I don't know what you want to carry but very good useful load and, often more important storage length availability. A surf rod or skis can be easily accommodated. The Rebel is actually big enough for many people to sleep in the fuselage rear. At least take a look at one.
    Ralph