Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LSA qualified Classics

Another course of action could be to find a soaring center and get an additional private glider rating. It counts as a revue. THEN buy your LSA compliant classic. Good luck.

Bob

As I was about to start the BFR in a Cessna 162 Skycatcher, the Flight Instructor mentioned that I would be unable to rent this plane even if I had a current BFR. When asked why, he informed me that a 3rd class medical was required if I wished to rent it unaccompanied by a Flight Instructor.
    That's crazy - I'm a Sport Pilot and wonder why they would have a Skycatcher if they can't rent it out to Sport Pilots or those flying under Sport Pilot rules.

I think the FBO was being way too cautious on the one hand and too lazy to call the insurance company to clarify on the other.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Rolls Eyes Thanks -

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dingley View Post
    Another course of action could be to find a soaring center and get an additional private glider rating. It counts as a revue. THEN buy your LSA compliant classic. Good luck.

Bob
    This is one of those 'why didn't I think of that' situations.. :-)

Great idea... Now, where did I put that number... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gonitzke View Post
    Why not simply call an insurance company and find out? That's the only way to know for sure...
    Oops, forgot the quote... As I said, great idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Badcellist View Post
    You answered my unstated query... That is - if I buy a Luscombe 8A, or equivalent, will I be able to get insurance as the PIC?

I may go ahead and get my 3rd class anyway. Although, at 62, I am concerned about passing it...
    If you are concerned about passing it, I'd suggest that you just let it lapse and go the drivers license route. If you are denied a medical, you will not be able to use your drivers license as a medical. If you have never been denied a medical the drivers license rule is good for you.
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    That's crazy - I'm a Sport Pilot and wonder why they would have a Skycatcher if they can't rent it out to Sport Pilots or those flying under Sport Pilot rules.

I think the FBO was being way too cautious on the one hand and too lazy to call the insurance company to clarify on the other.
    No, they bought the Skycatcher to do primary training in. They probably have no desire to let someone without a medical fly the airplane when they can schedule it with people who have one. If I had an LSA at a busy flight school, you would be darn sure I'd look and see what the difference in insurance is when you don't allow pilots with no medical to be the PIC of the aircraft.
    KSCessnaDriver
    ATP MEL, Commercial Lighter Than Air-Airship, SEL, CFI/CFII
    Private SES

Goggles Thinking better of it...

Quote Originally Posted by kscessnadriver View Post
    No, they bought the Skycatcher to do primary training in. They probably have no desire to let someone without a medical fly the airplane when they can schedule it with people who have one. If I had an LSA at a busy flight school, you would be darn sure I'd look and see what the difference in insurance is when you don't allow pilots with no medical to be the PIC of the aircraft.
    With all respect to those who are flying under the Sport License rule...

I have thought long and hard about the issue of DL vs 3rd class medical. I have also reflected upon the limitations imposed upon the AC type and the flying that is permitted as a Sport Pilot vs my PPL.

Although a 3rd Class Medical does not guarantee that I will not fall out of the sky due to a severe physical event (heart attack, stroke, et al), as a PIC, I accept the responsibility for the life and safety of both my passenger(s) and people on the ground. If I choose to find a 'get around' for a medical condition that may prevent me from flying as PIC, I am violating that trust and responsibility.

That being said, and for what it is worth, I will meet with a flight surgeon and take a physical for the 3rd class medical.

If I fail the physical, I will 'hang up my goggles' and reflect upon the blessing that I have had in the many hours I flew.

If I pass, you won't be able to pry me out of the left seat... :-)

As for the hardware - 3rd class medical in hand... Give me a AcroSport II and there will be a few new holes in the night sky....
    Last edited by Badcellist; 05-01-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Badcellist View Post
    With all respect to those who are flying under the Sport License rule...

I have thought long and hard about the issue of DL vs 3rd class medical. I have also reflected upon the limitations imposed upon the AC type and the flying that is permitted as a Sport Pilot vs my PPL.

Although a 3rd Class Medical does not guarantee that I will not fall out of the sky due to a severe physical event (heart attack, stroke, et al), as a PIC, I accept the responsibility for the life and safety of both my passenger(s) and people on the ground. If I choose to find a 'get around' for a medical condition that may prevent me from flying as PIC, I am violating that trust and responsibility.

That being said, and for what it is worth, I will meet with a flight surgeon and take a physical for the 3rd class medical.

If I fail the physical, I will 'hang up my goggles' and reflect upon the blessing that I have had in the many hours I flew.

If I pass, you won't be able to pry me out of the left seat... :-)

As for the hardware - 3rd class medical in hand... Give me a AcroSport II and there will be a few new holes in the night sky....

Don't get me wrong, I don't think a Sport Pilot should have to have a medical. I'm all for what we have today. But if I had $130,000 worth of my money in an airplane, I think that I would say, you know, I want to do it this way.
    KSCessnaDriver
    ATP MEL, Commercial Lighter Than Air-Airship, SEL, CFI/CFII
    Private SES

Weird. Mostly when one sees a Skycatcher for training it's for Sport Pilots - which don't have a medical!

If I was going to require a medical to do flight training I'd buy a Cessna 150....loads cheaper and easier to train in.

But it's their airplane and they can do what they want with it.

I suspect they just don't want to rent it to people they don't know well and are using the insurance dodge as an excuse.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.