Thread: Best Service at an FBO

Best Service at an FBO

This might already be a thread posted on here, but there are way too many to search. I was curious where your best and worst FBO experiences were. My personal favorite is XJet. Every time I fly to Denver, CO I make sure to hangar with XJet. Top notch facility, great customer service. Range Rover crew cars and beautiful concierge. If you haven't been, I would definitely make it a point to check them out. Just my opinion.

I've had (in the day) very good experiences with Piedmont/Hawthorne (now Landmark and not so good). They'd do a lot for me at a number of their facilities (IAD, INT, FAY, etc..). They understood that the guy showing up in the Navion or Bonanza on the weekend might be the guy in the corporate jet during the week and treated everybody with the same respect.

Worst experience: North Atlantic Aviation at KBVY. Arrived there just before 5 and only asked where we could tie down and got reamed out (literally screamed at) by the FBO employee for not calling ahead. A local flight school instructor who witnessed the whole disaster took pity on us and helped us out and let us call the Sheraton from his office to get our pickup.

I am not sure of the name of the FBO, but there is only one now at Santa Fe and they are very nice. They have a good building which looks like it was actually built by and for real people ,with WSI weather, a fireplace, etc. When they found out the restaurant in the terminal had shut down 10 minutes before the posted closing time, the FBO gave us a courtesy car and directions to a nearby good and cheap place. Only disadvantage is that avgas price is high, but then if you go somewhere gas is cheap, there is likely poor or little service.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 05-07-2012 at 04:46 PM.

I had a positive experience with the Landmark FBO in Asheville, NC this past weekend. Friendly and helpful staff. Free gourmet coffee and bottled water. Clean restrooms. Nice crew lounge. Even some grey eagles sitting around telling stories in the pilot ready room at the back end of the facility on Sunday morning.
    Overnight tiedown fees are waived with a minimum 7 gallon fuel purchase. The 100LL isn't cheap but I got a 50 cent per gallon discount when using my AOPA Mastercard.

I took my wife to Asheville last Christnas. Landmark not only had our rental car ready, they had it started and warmed for us when they brought it out to the flightline to meet us! It was a great experience. What really tops it off is we were in a sport cruiser LSA. They even stored it in a hanger for us because I mentioned it was a little hard to start on cold mornings. A great experience!

My best ever FBO experience was at "Sky's the Limit" in Casey, Illinois. It was our first planned stop after picking up my Aeronca 65LA from its previous owner. On descent to pattern altitude the windscreen became completely covered with oil. On landing we discovered a major oil leak in the gasket between the engine block and the accessory case. The mechanic and part owner of the FBO, Howard, help push the airplane over to his maintenance hangar, cleaned up the massive amount of oil in the engine compartment, located the leak, and supplied the 'gunk' for the temporary quick fix. The 'gunk' required 24 hours to harden, so they put the airplane in a hangar over night, loaned us a car and gave directions to the motel. The next morning we picked up the airplane and determined that the quick fix had, indeed, stopped the oil leak and prepared to head for home. I went to the FBO office, reaching for my American Express card (ya' know, don't leave home without it), knowing that about four hours of mechanic time, overnight in a hangar and the use of a car was going to far exceed the cash I had in my wallet. When I asked Howard how much I owed him the reply was, "Well, that's four gallons of gas, three quarts of oil -- that would be about $14.95". Howard and Sandy were the greatest folks you'd ever want to meet, and were a lifesaver for two guys stuck miles from home with a 'bleeding' airplane. If anyone happens to be in the area, give them my best and convey my lifelong appreciation for their helpfulness to travelers in trouble.
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

The best in the Indy area is Montgomery Aviation at KTYQ. They are just wonderful. Other very good ones I have encountered are the big FBO at the Kansas City Downtown airport (can't remember the name of the FBO) and the FBO (TAC Air or something like that) at Fort Smith, Arkansas.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.