Thread: Question on glueing....

Question on glueing....

Let's say I glue 2 pieces of wood together on my scratch built homebuilt using T-88. I lightly clamp the pieces and see the proper glue line squeeze out. Do I wipe the glue line with a rag (the excess that got squeezed out) or just leave it?

Some leave it as proof of the result but if you want to remove it, it's easier prior to cure. Take a photo before and after if it's about evidence in your build log.

It's purely cosmetic as John points out. With regular yellow glue, it's almost easier to just knock it off with a scraper after the fact if you want. With the expoxies, it's easier to clean it up as you go. You definitely want to clean up anything that drips beyond squeeze out.

While it's kind of slanted towards boat building. This is a pretty good free booklet on the subject: http://www.systemthree.com/reslibrar...Epoxy_Book.pdf. West has a pretty good book as well they'll give you for free (but I don't know of it online and it's not quite as nice as this one).

You want to remove the excess while you can! It is much more difficult after the glue cures. I use cut scrap strips of 1mm ply used in my building to remove the excess. Photograph the building process in general including the clamping, but I have never heard of a need to document a squeeze out.