Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: EGT/CHT vs A/F sensor for Engine Leaning

I have seen them shed flaming chunks all the way to touchdown. I've seen a JT-8 whose turbine blades were burned down to nubs and it was still making power and spewing molten metal out the tailpipe. There is a distinction between blade damage and disc damage. Disc damage is a game stopper.

My previous employer operated over 700 of these engines in scheduled service and I had the privileged of access to the lot where they parked the incoming cores for overhaul. I wish I had taken some pictures.

There is a distinction between blade damage and disc damage. Disc damage is a game stopper.
    OK, this is going to sound really boneheaded but isn't the disc made up of the blades? I have a basic idea of how a turbine engine works but apparently my terminology is a bit muddled when it comes to "name that part" since I'm not a mechanic.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

In general terms the disc is the hub or center part the blades mount to. The blades are separate from the disc and can be replaced when they wear out this way you don't have to replace the disc when you have one little nick in a blade.
    The disc can fail separate of the blades usually with catastrophic results ie the Sioux city crash of the DC-10.

Ah.....OK. That makes sense and I kind of figured that was the difference but at the same time didn't want to just make the assumption. Thank you for clarifying that.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

I was a maintenance troubleshooter in a Vigi (RA-5C) squadron on the Big E during Viet Nam. The pilot of the F-4J spotted next to us gave his Plane Captain a BIG thumbs up when asked if the A/C was up.

We were all amazed as we could see some daylight through the STBD engine. God bless the GE J79-10. The pilot did fess up that temps might have spiked up just a bit - but only for an instant!

Any jet engine will FOD - some try their best to get you home.

Pete

(One of the Maintenance Chiefs on the Nalls Sea Harrier)