Thread: Prop stand ideas?

Prop stand ideas?

I need to pull a 3-blade Hartzell prop off my Baron and store it in my hangar for a month or so.

Does anyone have recommendations for a prop stand, either for vertical or horizontal storage? An engine hoist and strap won't work because I need the hoist to lift off the engine.

Pictures would be very helpful. Thanks!

Scott

Just set it flange side down somewhere where it won't get damaged. Unless you're intending to work on it while it's off, you don't need a fancy stand.

FlyingRon,

Thanks for the reply. My concern is damage to the prop as it sits on the floor. I could place it under one of the wings, but was really hoping someone developed a simple stand that I could build. Keeping it vertical, against the hangar wall, would be ideal.

Scott

Use a Harbor Freight engine stand to hold it. You may have to make and adaptor plate to mount it but it should be quick and easy.

You might inquire if anybody has a shipping box left over from receiving a prop (either new or from overhaul). The new Hartzells come in a heavy duty cardboard box and I've seen wooden crates made up for sending things to overhaul shops. That would allow you some more flexibility in storage.

Styrofoam blocks are really good for setting something down that's fragile.

Try a 5 Gallon bucket with three notches cut out in the rim of the bucket to cradle the blades, add some 1/2 " pipe insulation to the notches to keep the prop from shifting and scratching the paint on the blade shanks. The prop will be plenty secure. Just be sure to store it out of the traffic patern or you'll end up with some bruised shins.

Or you could tie rope around two of the blades and hang it on the wall like a picture frame.